Problem with AER-MD3 (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, October 31, 2015, 17:11 (3062 days ago)

Hi Bert,

One of the AER-MD3 drivers I bought from you about ten years ago to use in my Ortis 150 horns has developed a serious problem. After eliminating other possibilities and listening carefully I am pretty sure the problem is a misaligned scrubbing voice coil or perhaps some foreign matter in the gap.

An obvious solution is to ship the driver back to AER for repairs, but I am hoping you can suggest a more simple plan that doesn't involve intercontinental shipping. Any and all suggestions you might be able to offer to me will be very much appreciated.

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Saturday, October 31, 2015, 18:36 (3061 days ago) @ Don Reid

You can check out here:

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=17285
http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?mode=entry&id=15109

Perhaps this answers some of your questions? If this is not an option then the only other path is to replace the current diaphragm assemblies for new assemblies.

AER similar to Lowther does not repair or replaces surrounds as service.

Best Regards,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Problem with AER-MD3

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, November 01, 2015, 01:51 (3061 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks for the informative videos, Bert. In years past I would have done this repair with enjoyment, but presently a vision impairment requires that I hire a professional to do it for me.

I hope you don't mind if I ask two more questions, please. Does AER sell replacement cones, voice coils, surrounds, etc? How may I best contact them to order parts if any are needed?

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Monday, November 02, 2015, 12:02 (3060 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I hope you don't mind if I ask two more questions, please. Does AER sell replacement cones, voice coils, surrounds, etc? How may I best contact them to order parts if any are needed?

Sorry but AER does not sell parts. Doing so will only create inferior drivers with his name printed on them. A complete replacement diaphragm is the only option to renew...

Bert

--

Problem with AER-MD3

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Monday, November 02, 2015, 19:17 (3059 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks again, Bert. I am guessing from you last answer that AER does sell complete replacement diaphragms. Is that correct? If that is correct do you know the name or perhaps e-mail address of a person at AER that I could contact? I have tried to correspond with AER in the past and was unsuccessful because of language difficulties. I only use English and some Spanish. Typical American problem.

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Monday, November 02, 2015, 20:17 (3059 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don,

I am guessing from you last answer that AER does sell complete replacement diaphragms. Is that correct?

I just found out that this is not the case...

1 - They upgrade (upgrading all moving parts to the Signature standard)
2 - They re-cone (including re-foam)
3 - They re-foam (when everything else is still in optimal condition)

I have tried to correspond with AER in the past and was unsuccessful because of language difficulties. I only use English and some Spanish.

This is weird! I have always communicated with AER in ENGLISH! To whom did you talk in those days making you think that they can only communicate in German? Do you recall a name?

Contact email address for AER: aer@aer-loudspeakers.com and their website: http://aer-loudspeakers.com but as distributor for AER you can contact me for all related questions.

For prices and options (needs an update) you can visit my own webpage and search for AER at:

http://www.bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d235_AER_Loudspeakers.html

Bert

--

Problem with AER-MD3

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Wednesday, November 04, 2015, 01:47 (3058 days ago) @ Bert

Bert,

Thank you very much for the additional information in your last post. If other options fail I can have the problem driver or if necessary both drivers upgraded. This is reassuring. I will send you an e-mail if that becomes my plan. Thanks again.

Problem with AER-MD3

by alwsjr, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 15:10 (3050 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Don... AER can / will repair or upgrade your drivers.. I have received an email from them with a price list of repair options... I have the foam tear in one and also am considering the upgrade to Signature, although I am still not quite sure what that does.. it is not cheap, but if I am going to ship to Germany may as well go all in... either way I cannot act until after the New Year due to funds...

Problem with AER-MD3

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 23:59 (3046 days ago) @ alwsjr
edited by Don Reid, Monday, November 16, 2015, 00:04

Thanks for the information, alwsjr. Whenever the foam plays out I will probably spring for the signatures myself. Anything worth doing is worth over doing is what I say.

I should have written this post before now because I need to update matters on the AER MD-3. When I really closely examined the driver with the problem I found that the brass phase plug had unscrewed from it's complete attachment position to the point that I had bent it over, probably while dusting the horns for ten years. and it interrupted the free movement of the voice coil. After I straightened the threaded brass rod which attaches the phase plug I screwed the plug correctly in. When I listened the subject MD-3 in an Oris 150 horn it sang as sweetly and musically as always.

As I mentioned earlier I have a substantial vision impairment. I only see from one eye and it has had two surgeries this year.

The reason I should have written this sooner is to remove the insult I paid to the MD-3. They really are great drivers.

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 20:32 (3045 days ago) @ Don Reid

Thanks Don,

Good to know that is was just the plug too!

Cheers,

Bert

--

Problem with AER-MD3

by ThomasT, Friday, January 29, 2016, 18:38 (2971 days ago) @ Bert

Hi.. Also AER MD3.

Speaker doesn't speak. Removed from Oris 150. Cone moves freely.

Checked voice coil. Showing 13ohms. So wires to cone and onto terminals good.

Voice coil not shorted, and showing approx correct resistance???

Checked Speaker wire has voltage, so amp OK. Connect amp wire to Speaker terminals.. no Sound.

Any ideas before an expensive AER overhaul?

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Friday, January 29, 2016, 19:06 (2971 days ago) @ ThomasT

Hi Thomas,

Weird...

Did you try the other amp channel (exchange speakers)? Perhaps the source? 1.5V battery directly on the driver to determine phase?

Bert

--

Problem with AER-MD3

by ThomasT, Friday, January 29, 2016, 19:47 (2971 days ago) @ Bert

Actually the amp has 2 sets of Speaker outlets per channel. Both Show same voltage. When connected to AER 1 Ok, connect to AER 2.. silence. With 1.5 Volt batt. to Speaker terminals, Speaker crackles.. so I assume there's life there.. maybe.

Problem with AER-MD3

by ThomasT, Friday, January 29, 2016, 19:50 (2971 days ago) @ ThomasT

The bloody Thing has come back to life.. now to re-assemble oris. Thanks.. Did the battery do it??? Thanks anyway.....

Problem with AER-MD3

by Bert @, Friday, January 29, 2016, 20:29 (2971 days ago) @ ThomasT

Big change it wil get silent again... I think that there is a crack in the wire somewhere...

--

Problem with AER-MD3

by ThomasT, Saturday, January 30, 2016, 07:30 (2971 days ago) @ Bert

Further... when I said it was working, it was on a test on it's own, with all other Speakers OFF. When re-aasembled, I note that it does work, but at a very low volume.. and a Little distorted-

RSS Feed of thread