amps (BD-Design)

by Nico, The land of wooden shoes, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 08:41 (2987 days ago)

Amps... who doesn't own at least one or more amps he/ she does not use?

Going the road to audio nirvana, many people know the craving about buying something new or stick with what you got as time goes by.
Budget plays a role for sure, as does appearance of audio gear.

What I'd like to share is that after years of experimenting with all kind of amps, I'm now convinced that it all comes down to... synergy.
I've owned expensive amps that [in the setup at that time] were a big disappointment; cheap amps however have brought me closer to audio-heaven in the past than amps costing 100 times more.

So IMO one can never say that a amp is best suited for a install, or speakersystem.
I'm not talking about the sensible stuff like don't use a 8W single ended tube amp in combination with a power-hungry 85Db efficient system if you like to play loud rockmusic.

No,I'm talking about horns in combination with the type of amp YOU think sounds best.
When I change nothing else in my system other than a amp, it sounds like a whole different setup.

Powering my active install with 3 big amps it ROCKS the house [my wife complains about paintings on the wall, not hanging horizontal when she comes home after that].
BUT with three tube amps, the sound changes to a involving experience, which keeps me on the edge of my seat until the last note.

Which sound do you prefer? It would be great to have it both ways at the same time, and that's what I'm after.

Bottom line of why I'm sharing my thoughts here; maybe you've got "the better amp" for your current system stashed away at this moment ; try it again for two weeks and then swap back to you current amp.

You might be surprised.

Two amps below; Bryston 4B and a experimental 18W Class A amp; perfect examples of two different worlds.
Hope I just encouraged you to dig up that old amp again and hook it up.

[image][image]

amps

by robert, Monday, March 14, 2016, 18:55 (2957 days ago) @ Nico

hello Nico
where do you live?
i am in Limburg and have a few amps very well suited for the Oris horns
i think 6 tube amps most single ended mono blocks
and 3 other amps all of them are fine for the Oris horns.
ps. i have exact the same suzy wong tiles :smile:

amps

by Nico, The land of wooden shoes, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 19:07 (2956 days ago) @ robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. At the moment my old Altec's are playing again here; I couldn't get the Oris to sound right even after many hours of trying.

The Altecs are more dynamic, like I described in one of my previous posts.
Also they sound "right" as soon as re-entring the old settings in the DSP.

Maybe it's the room, or my spoiled ears in terms of beeing used to the dynamics of a high pressure driver/ horn combination.

I take the listening fatique after a few hours for granted; the system plays so energetic and lively that I can live with a limited time of listening.

It would be fun to meet up some day, as it looks like we've got the same virus in our blood.... you owning more amps than needed just like I do :grin:

I live 15min. from Amsterdam, very near to "Keukenhof".
Are you ever in this neighbourhood?

Thanks,
Nico

amps

by robert, Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:42 (2955 days ago) @ Nico

hello Nico
I play also with Altec the a7 with wings an the 1505 multi cell horn with 288 drivers
also very powerful and dynamic but absolute no listening fatigue its the most pleasant speaker i ever had
and it has no sweetspot and tough the most dynamic speaker i had
it has a normal passive crossover and it can driven by only one amp.

I had different horns in the past Klipschorn hedlundhorn Oris with AER md3
the Orphean with the BMS drivers and many bass cabinets.
i liked all the horns especially the horns from Bert.
he build very nice things!

amps

by Nico, The land of wooden shoes, Friday, March 18, 2016, 22:26 (2953 days ago) @ robert

Hi Robert,

Good to hear that I'm not the only one with old Altecs.
The Oris are not my cup of tea I'm afraid, very musical but a bit too laid back for me.
I'm simpley spoiled by the dynamics of the high pressure driver/ horn combination I guess...

Maybe we'll meet some day to listen to our old Altecs...
Thanks,
Nico

RSS Feed of thread