rear cover of Oris 150 (BD-Design)

by Nico, The land of wooden shoes, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 22:53 (2945 days ago)

Is the design of this horn so that the rear cover always needs to be used or can it also perform good without ? [ with the driver in free air on the back per owner's choice ?].

Looking at the rear cover that came with mine, somebody in the past has even tried different inner volumes by raising the rear cover and drilling new holes...

From what I understand the rear cover is mounted with the open end against the backside of the horn and sealed permanently to it, the rear lid detachable for mounting the driver.
In my rear covers the rear lid is glued into place; the whole cover only comes off by unscrewing it from the MDF ring that holds the driver.

Do I actually need a new rear cover with the back removable, attached to the horn and sealed?

Thanks,
Nico

rear cover of Oris 150

by Bert @, Thursday, February 25, 2016, 07:39 (2945 days ago) @ Nico

Hi Nico,

Is the design of this horn so that the rear cover always needs to be used or can it also perform good without ? [ with the driver in free air on the back per owner's choice ?].

Yes, depending on the specific situation you can leave the rear open, closed or partially open by using just the round felt.

Looking at the rear cover that came with mine, somebody in the past has even tried different inner volumes by raising the rear cover and drilling new holes...

That is the fun trying to optimize the volume for certain drivers depending on usage. People also use the horns for mid-bass application...

Do I actually need a new rear cover with the back removable, attached to the horn and sealed?

If you want to experiment then a new rear cover plate would be needed. If your horns are not painted and the back plate is not secured with nails then you should be able to get it out without too much damage.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

rear cover of Oris 150

by Gasper @, Thursday, February 25, 2016, 11:28 (2945 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Nico,

I have found out that in my situation (Oris150/Lowther DX3/DX4) the best way was to leave foam ring (originally designe by BD-Design) behind driver. Additional MDF plate give me a hard sound.

You should try what is best for you...

Cheers,
Gasper

RSS Feed of thread