placement for Oris150 (BD-Design)

by OTLamp @, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 08:30 (2681 days ago)

hi

I just moved home, and would like to try out pushing the Oris 150 towards the front wall. What is the best minimal distance from the front wall given my requirement for a deep soundstage? I am using Yamamoto A08s with AER md2 driver.

Thank you

placement for Oris150

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:36 (2681 days ago) @ OTLamp

I just moved home, and would like to try out pushing the Oris 150 towards the front wall. What is the best minimal distance from the front wall given my requirement for a deep soundstage? I am using Yamamoto A08s with AER md2 driver.

The more into the room the deeper the soundstage (due to delayed room reflections coming from the rear wall) and more free sound.

Close to the sidewalls makes the soundstage wider (due to side reflections).

The more free placement the more free sound... same as with normal speakers but with much less annoying early reflections due to the directivity of the horns.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

placement for Oris150

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Thursday, November 17, 2016, 20:04 (2678 days ago) @ Bert

I have had Oris 150s for almost twelve years, and I have experimented quite a bit with different placements. Different rooms require different speaker placements so I can only tell you what sounds best in my room in hopes that that might be helpful. The mouth of my horns are two meters in front of the wall behind them. I like the sound so well I haven't changed that in years.

placement for Oris150

by OTLamp @, Monday, November 21, 2016, 14:47 (2675 days ago) @ Don Reid

My Oris 150 have a circle opening around 3cm in diameter. Would it be better to seal it completely!

placement for Oris150

by Bert @, Monday, November 21, 2016, 15:11 (2675 days ago) @ OTLamp

My Oris 150 have a circle opening around 3cm in diameter. Would it be better to seal it completely!

This depends on the way you listen.

The little hole reduces the pressure behind the driver (in this respect it would be best to have the whole rear panel removed!) making the sound more free and less harsh/stressed.

Remember that the diaphragm is very thin and air pressure will only restrict a homogeneous movement.

Closing it completely will give more body to the sound below 200 Hz which is a bonus but this little hump can be created with the bass section too...

If you like closed better as best compromise then keep it like that... :cool: :yes:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

placement for Oris150

by OTLamp @, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 22:00 (2671 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you so much for the insight.

RSS Feed of thread