Some questions about the the 150 (Oris Horns)

by George, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 23:18 (2458 days ago)

Hi Bert,

I have some questions about imaging and width of sweet spot with the Oris horns. I've read a lot of reviews but some say that they have a very narrow sweet spot and some say they're not so bad. Currently I'm using the Fostex FE206ES-R drivers in a back loaded horn and have modified them for use with phase plugs. I have the speakers ever so slightly toed in and they sound fine both in the sweet spot and a quite a bit off axis. The room is about 3M wide and 5M long with the back of the room opening up to a much larger one with a vaulted ceiling. The drivers are approximately 98db efficient.

What efficiency should I expect (I'm currently using a 45 SET amp) and will the horns affect the size of the sweet spot? I sit well back from the speakers (approx 4M) and the Oris will be even closer to the rear wall so I'm hoping that the distance will help the integration of the sound. The horns (center of driver) will be approximately 1M from the side walls.

Some questions about the the 150

by Bert @, Thursday, July 27, 2017, 12:02 (2458 days ago) @ George

Hi George,

What efficiency should I expect (I'm currently using a 45 SET amp) and will the horns affect the size of the sweet spot?

Assuming you are referring to the Oris 150/250 then the efficiency will gain at least 6dB in the midrange and 12dB in the lower range. The tonal balance will change from just okay to full bodied without the honkyness...

The sweetspot will be more narrow but as a bonus extremely precise imaging.

I sit well back from the speakers (approx 4M) and the Oris will be even closer to the rear wall so I'm hoping that the distance will help the integration of the sound. The horns (center of driver) will be approximately 1M from the side walls.

Advised will be to use damping material on the side walls to dampen the first reflection in that situation...

Best Regards,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by George, Friday, July 28, 2017, 17:21 (2457 days ago) @ Bert

I'm currently agonizing over the 150 vs. the Orphean and the unavailability of the 150 til September gives me some time to think about it. I do love my Fostex drivers and the 150 horn is big and cool but I've been curious about the Orphean since you introduced it. It's a shame that more people haven't written about it.

What sort of improvements have you achieved with the Orphean Mk 5 version?

by Bert @, Saturday, July 29, 2017, 10:30 (2456 days ago) @ George

Hi George,

What sort of improvements have you achieved with the Orphean Mk 5 version?

Hard to express sound but in a few words...

Better (much!) phase behaviour giving more detail, more clear and clean image, more natural, less hi-fi...

Never want to look back comes to my mind regulary.

In case the Orphean is well integrated with a suitable bass system the Oris 150 gives more distortion (at louder passages), less efficient, less high frequency extension (driver dependend) and has (much) less dispersion in the high frequencies (smaller sweetspot!).

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

RSS Feed of thread