DX4 versus PM4A (Drive Units)

by Arno P, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 18:28 (2377 days ago)

I have been playing my DX4's in big backloaded horns for years...great sound but I wondered if I could stretch it further by changing them for PM4a's (Very low QTS 0,164 vs 0.218)

Any thoughts on this?
I am going to low-pass the lowther and have the mids done with a TAD TD2001 Tractrix

DX4 versus PM4A

by Bert @, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 20:59 (2377 days ago) @ Arno P

Hi Arno,

I have been playing my DX4's in big backloaded horns for years...great sound but I wondered if I could stretch it further by changing them for PM4a's (Very low QTS 0,164 vs 0.218)

Any thoughts on this?

I am going to low-pass the lowther and have the mids done with a TAD TD2001 Tractrix

Let me get this clear... you want to use the Lowther solely for the bass? :-)

I have used PM2C's in the past to drive my big bass horns, worked great!

In that case the lower mids should be more controlled and more dynamic. It depends a bit on the design of the horn to profit from the wider bandwidth...

Before you trade them (in case you go through with the idea) then do a test first stiffen the membrane with coating without adding too much weight of course. This should make the mid-bass more clean and the deeper bass more efficiƫnt.

If that works out for you then you can apply the same tweak to the PM4A's.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

DX4 versus PM4A

by Arno P, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 21:27 (2377 days ago) @ Bert

Indeed, only bass and low-mid (aiming for max 600-700Hz). I was even thinking to remover the whizzer cone since this is still flapping around in the frequency range where I won't be using it anymore (could make the cross over simpeler if the mid/high bumps are gone in the mid/high area....and makes the moving mass less..

RSS Feed of thread