crossover for iris 200 (Oris Horns)

by OTLamp @, Friday, October 13, 2017, 08:54 (2384 days ago)

HI

I am going for 250 dividing point for iris 200, with a 2A3 single amp for the horn, and original amp for bass. I used to have accuphase F15L active crossover, however it seems to be dead after serving for 7 years. Should i go for a new digital crossover or stay with accuphase? or should i just go for a fixed frquency passive crossover? what would be the differences between the active and passive ones then.

thank you

Lindsey

crossover for iris 200

by Bert @, Friday, October 13, 2017, 09:16 (2384 days ago) @ OTLamp

Hi Lindsey,

Should i go for a new digital crossover or stay with accuphase? or should i just go for a fixed frquency passive crossover?

I would defenitely go for a passive crossover towards the Oris horn! For the bass I would suggest active being most flexible. First create the passive crossover for the horns and then fill-in the bass using an active crossover. Perhaps even a DSP based type so that you can tweak it to perfection...

what would be the differences between the active and passive ones then.

The passive one makes it easier for your 2A3... everything below 250Hz will be seen as a very high impedance and this also reduces the noise (50/60Hz + 100/120Hz harmonics) coming from your 2A3 if present.

Leaving more power, more headroom and less noise...

Which drivers do you use in the Oris 200's?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

crossover for iris 200

by OTLamp @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 11:53 (2380 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks bert,

I found a DBX pa processor and use its crossover function only. setting at 250 and it works great. Strange enough it reveals more detail especially on lower mid frequency compared with the old accuphase which is also at 250 Hz crossover.

I use AER BD2 drivers and have great results thank you.

BTW how is your new design compared with iris 200?

thanks

Lindsey

crossover for iris 200

by Bert @, Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 22:42 (2380 days ago) @ OTLamp

I found a DBX pa processor and use its crossover function only. setting at 250 and it works great. Strange enough it reveals more detail especially on lower mid frequency compared with the old accuphase which is also at 250 Hz crossover.

It is always possible that phase shifts work out for the better (think about differences in latency to name one).

I use AER BD2 drivers and have great results thank you.

:good:

BTW how is your new design compared with iris 200?

The design is mostly related to the bass section but in your case the horn as well. The 200's are not made anymore and replaced for the Oris 250. Basically the differences are not huge between the 200 and the 250 which is actually a 220Hz horn.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

crossover for iris 200

by OTLamp @, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 05:43 (2379 days ago) @ Bert

thank you for your enlightenment

RSS Feed of thread