Revelation - Final Drawings available! (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 21:00 (2374 days ago)

Click below for the PDF...

http://forum.bd-design.nl/20171019 Revelation.pdf

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Revelation - Final Drawings available!

by Rami, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:43 (2371 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Rami, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 14:14

Can you tell more about the Revelation? It looks like its dipole / horn tuned but i really cant tell :smile:

What elements have you used and how this would compare to ref2010 sound?

by Bert @, Monday, October 23, 2017, 14:13 (2370 days ago) @ Rami

Can you tell more about the Revelation? It looks like its dipole / horn tuned but i really cant tell :smile:

It is a dipole... with compression to maximize the pressure forcing the waves to follow the same direction and thus highly reducing the differences between the drivers. This gives more efficiency because the drivers now work optimally together and resonances in the higher frequencies are not disturbing.

What elements have you used and how this would compare to ref2010 sound?

In this system I use the Beyma SM112N

The sound is what you feed them ... no extra's like enclosed systems add and most important, much less resonances will occur in your listening room ...

Standing waves are much less a problem and the sound is pure ...

At first it seems lean but this is just the absence or added "noise". Once used then you'll never want anything else ... uness you like booming bass of course!

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 19:03 (2367 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 19:08

Bert, Would you think these would be an improvement over my Klipschorn Bass Bins?

Also, Can these be placed in a Corner, or do they have some placement restrictions?

by Bert @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:14 (2367 days ago) @ Kevin

Bert, Would you think these would be an improvement over my Klipschorn Bass Bins?

It depends on what you feel is important. The Klipsch corner horns do have some nice kick in the bass with coloration as a bonus. The open system of the Revelation is without resonances and coloration, just clean bass.

Compared to the Klipsch it will be a journey before getting used to the changes... but once there then going back will be impossible unless you still want the "fun" factor and pressurized room bass notes.

For movies the Klipsch will be more spectacular if you know what I mean.

Also, Can these be placed in a Corner, or do they have some placement restrictions?

Not like the Klipsch ... but not too far out the corners works more than okay. If placed more free in the room then your image will be more free as well becoming more spacious.

Read on the internet about open baffle versus enclosed systems.

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:50 (2367 days ago) @ Bert

Are these Bass Bin drawings similar to what you show here? Better or Not as good?

[image]

by Bert @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 22:39 (2367 days ago) @ Kevin

Are these Bass Bin drawings similar to what you show here? Better or Not as good?

The image shows the Sigma system ... these are better in the extremes, the used principle (open system) is comparable.

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Saturday, October 28, 2017, 23:59 (2365 days ago) @ Bert

A Couple questions;

1.) How is the wiring hooked up to the woofers? Is this on a Drawing? I may have missed it.

2.) You had mentioned that you have plans for the 15 inch woofer coming. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 12 inch vs. the 15 inch woofers?

by Bert @, Sunday, October 29, 2017, 09:53 (2364 days ago) @ Kevin

A Couple questions;

1.) How is the wiring hooked up to the woofers? Is this on a Drawing? I may have missed it.

The Hyoex has 2 amplifiers on board... the idea is to connect one pair in parallel to the 1st amp and the 2nd pair to the second amp.

2.) You had mentioned that you have plans for the 15 inch woofer coming. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 12 inch vs. the 15 inch woofers?

The idea is still in my head but not sure if it will be optimal because things get bigger without space left for the Hypex. The main advantage would be more headroom and more versatile for people having the drivers laying around with no use...

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Sunday, October 29, 2017, 14:51 (2364 days ago) @ Bert

Is there any way to run a pair of speaker wires (As I am currently doing) to each Bass Bin and hook the woofers up that way? Keeping each Hypex Bridged.

In my current listening room configuration, that I had wired for Bi-Amping in the walls, I do not have interconnects running to the Bass Bins, nor do I have electrical outlets located near the Bass Bins.

I need to keep the Hypex Amps close to my Pre-amp and Electrical Outlets. These are currently located in Cabinets that I had built for Bi-amping purposes.

[image]

by Bert @, Sunday, October 29, 2017, 20:00 (2364 days ago) @ Kevin

Is there any way to run a pair of speaker wires (As I am currently doing) to each Bass Bin and hook the woofers up that way? Keeping each Hypex Bridged.

Not sure if I understand the question but it should not make much of a difference having short speaker cables and long interconnects or the other way around.

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:46 (2356 days ago) @ Bert

Not sure if I understand the question but it should not make much of a difference having short speaker cables and long interconnects or the other way around.

Yes, I could make it work... But understand, when I built the cabinetry for the audio system, the extra pair of Speaker Wires were run inside the walls (They already exist)... If I would now have to run Longer interconnect cables, it would mean removing the back of the wall and running interconnects (Not what I want to do) or just laying the inter-connects on the floor - Where we would trip over them getting to my back storage room (Not what me or my Wife would like to do.)

So my Question remains; Is it possible to wire this with just the existing speaker wires that I am currently using and keep the Amp Bridged?

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 17:57 (2355 days ago) @ Kevin

Kevin,

A speaker wire is not an interconnect!

If you feed the cable with line-level signals (pre-amplifier outputs) then you must use a shielded cable (interconnect), everything the cable picks up along the way will be amplified and becomes audible...

If you would use the output of your main power amplifier (not a pre-amplifier) then you'll need much less amplicfication and then speaker cables will work out well.

You could try first though and see if yuo can use the speaker wire as it is now, perhaps the noise is acceptable?

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 18:42 (2355 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 19:08

A speaker wire is not an interconnect!

Exactly! - That is why I have my Amps located right next to my pre-amps, because all I've got running to my speakers is Speaker Wires.

Hence my Question remains. Could I just wire the 4 Drivers of the Bass Bin to accept one pair of Speaker wires, as I am currently doing now.

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 19:25 (2355 days ago) @ Kevin

Confused ... :dntknw:  

Do you have 4 drivers in your Klipsch Corner horns? 

Ah, you're talking about the Revelations? 

Then sure... 2 pairs in parallel and those pairs in series. 

Better would be to connect both pairs to each Hypex amp individual though.

Bert

--

by Kevin @, Minneapolis, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 22:38 (2355 days ago) @ Bert
edited by Kevin, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 23:01

Yes, talking about these new Revelation Design....

Because, I only have 2 runs of speaker cables to the Speakers --- One for the Oris and One for the Bass Bins...... I cannot have two separate runs to the Revelation Bass Bins.

And zero runs of Interconnects to the Speakers.

RSS Feed of thread