Anyone tried the Cornu horn? (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 21:50 (7023 days ago)

I am considering putting a Cornu horn on the back of my Oris 150 horns with Lowther DX4M speakers, and driving with a class A single ended triode amp that Don Garber of Fi built for me using 275A Western Electrics. Anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Got any advice to share?:-|

Tags:

Anyone tried the Cornu horn?

by GC, Thursday, January 27, 2005, 13:54 (7021 days ago) @ GC

Hello Mark,

Did you already check http://www.diyparadiso.com/cornu1.htm?

Eddie

Tags:

by GC, Monday, January 31, 2005, 09:38 (7017 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I know Cornu personally.

Bert is right. You can't just take a midrange (and up) horn and stick it on a Cornu backloaded horn, that will make the sound unbalanced a lot. You can combine frontloaded and backloaded horns, but they will have to be designed together. Cornu is developing a speaker with both front and rear horn (for the Fostex FE108EZ driver, a 10 cm fullrange unit) and the preliminary conclusion is that it's very hard, but when you get it right it's magical. ;-)

With specific regard for the Cornu-Oris combination: Simply screwing an Oris to the Cornu spirals wouldn't get the best out of the Oris and the Cornu horns.

Ivo

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, January 04, 2007, 00:49 (6315 days ago) @ GC

I am considering putting a Cornu horn on the back of my Oris 150 horns with
Lowther DX4M speakers, and driving with a class A single ended triode amp
that Don Garber of Fi built for me using 275A Western Electrics. Anyone
had any experience with such an arrangement? Got any advice to share?:-|

Hi Mark,

I know that Jonathan used the Oris 150 on his Belcanto back loaded horns, no real success (very strong EQ needed in the bass...).

In combination with the Cornu horn you'll have the same problem.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread