Mac vs Windows PC (BD-Design)

by GC, Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 20:38 (7022 days ago)

Has anyone got the last word on the Mac vs WPC debate for driving the Twindac+?

With the Mac Mini, entry into silent running could be a viable option with an external hard drive to transfer EAC and WPC converted CD? :confused:

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Thursday, February 03, 2005, 03:54 (7021 days ago) @ GC

Has anyone got the last word on the Mac vs WPC debate for driving the
Twindac+?

With the Mac Mini, entry into silent running could be a viable option with
an external hard drive to transfer EAC and WPC converted CD?

As Anand sees it:
"Apple did a very good job with the mini. They effectively completed the transition of the entry-level computer into a commodity. To the average joe, the Mac mini isn't a computer - it's another iPod or DVD player, just a lot better and a lot more feature-filled. It's a DVD player that can edit and create DVDs, and it's an iPod that can make and play music, and it's a box that you can retrieve your email.

To the rest of us, it's a small, quiet, stylish looking box that finally breaks down the price barrier to Mac OS X. As a second system for any PC user, the Mac mini can't be beat."
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.html?i=2328

But if you ask me, going quiet can be done very effectively with PC hardware. And since this is a much more open platform, there is equally more choice of components.

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Thursday, February 03, 2005, 05:07 (7021 days ago) @ GC

But if you ask me, going quiet can be done very effectively with PC
hardware.

And since this is a much more open platform, there is equally
more choice of components.

Gee, I opened the box that my iBook came in and powered it up. It took two minutes to start ripping cd's. No pouring thru catalogs looking at power supplies and water cooled towers. No building, no messing with usb drivers that may or may not work. No learning EAC. Oh yeah, and it's silent...completely quiet...no noise.
Steve

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Thursday, February 03, 2005, 09:29 (7021 days ago) @ GC

A standard configured Laptop works equally well. Just use Mediaplayer and you can rip and burn CD's within a few minutes, no problem!

But if this sounds optimal is something to figure out and try eh?

At least you can fool around in Windows, with an iBook you can't change anything, you can only hope that the manufacturer is an audiophile like us and configured his hardware accordingly....

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Thursday, February 03, 2005, 04:58 (7021 days ago) @ GC

I'm not sure that the Mini is silent...quiet maybe, but not silent. The good news is that the iBook is silent...no fan at all. And it can do something that the Mini can't do...run on batteries!
I only know one person who has compared EAC/Foobar and iTunes. Gordon Rankin of Wavelength has both and he says there is no difference. Somewhere I've seen a comparsison done between EAC and iTunes and the data retrieved from the cd was the same on both programs...bit for bit.
Try it, you'll like it.
Steve

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Friday, February 11, 2005, 21:52 (7013 days ago) @ GC

Hi Steve,

Your iBook (and any other laptop) has a switchmode supply that runs off of the battery. So I don't see the advantage... If it's fanless (???) then that is a good thing.

Right now I'm trying to get a compact flash to boot up my mini-itx. Wireless lan for the music on a PC downstairs. No moving parts, zero noise, very small (smaller than the mini max :) )

jim

Tags:

Mac vs Windows PC

by GC, Thursday, February 03, 2005, 09:20 (7021 days ago) @ GC

Has anyone got the last word on the Mac vs WPC debate for driving the
Twindac+?

With the Mac Mini, entry into silent running could be a viable option with
an external hard drive to transfer EAC and WPC converted CD?

I am not a computer expert and my experiences are only related to a Windows based system. I remain sceptical regarding the iBook and not properly configured PC's until I have compared it in my system.

With my PC laptop (running on batteries and silent while playing) there is already a major difference in sound when using different software/drivers to handle the data stream.

The iBook might sound okay, a PC can sound okay as well but the flexibility provided by a Windows based system makes the PC sounding better after it is configured properly. An iBook is simple to work with but you can't change anything which might improve the sound.

Also, when using a PC for playing music I strongly suggest to use it only for that. Get a relative cheap PC laptop with USB2.0 and use that for your music.

Is there anybody close to me who has an Mac or iBook who likes to compare it with a Windows based PC for playing back music through the TwinDAC+? I would like to know and I am sure that more people would like to know this...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread