AER frequency response graph (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, February 18, 2005, 21:31 (6978 days ago)

I found the AER web site:
http://www.aer-lautsprecher.de/

and there , I found response graphs for the MD1, MD2 and MD3 they all show ruler flat frequency response from about 200hz to 20khz, and none of them show any rising response at high frequency. And since the Oris and other type of front horn will amplify the lower range more than the upper range, would this cause the resulting sound to be rather dull and not sparkly?

Tags:

AER frequency response graph

by GC, Saturday, February 19, 2005, 00:02 (6978 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bao,

I expect that the frequency plots shown there are from the drivers when used in their optimal enclosures. The MD1, MD2 and MD3's do not sound dull at all in the Oris. If you listen and compare those AER drive units with Lowthers and Fostex drivers then you'll find out that AER's are the only drivers that do bring sparkle when used in a front horn...

I also think that frequency plots are always smoothened a bit/lot (like most manufacturers do in this commercial world) so basically you can say that 99.9% of the shown plots are of no use and only published because people want to see them for mostly the wrong reason.

I do not want to be part of that commercial mendacious blabla and that's why I never want to publish frequency plots. Unsmoothened and uncorrected frequency plots is what you need, including the information telling about the measuring circumstances, including phase plots, including directivity plots, including impedance plots, including waterfall plots, etc., only then you can learn about the capabilities of the driver (if you inderstand what you see though...)

Who still believes that an amplifier with 0.000001% distortion and 1.000Watts always sounds better than an amplifier with 2% distortion and only 400mW of power?

Real information will be misunderstood by 99% of the people looking at the plots and will therefore draw wrong conclusions. Also, it will still not tell how the speaker sounds! So what is the use to publish them eh?. ;-)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Saturday, February 19, 2005, 03:27 (6978 days ago) @ GC

Unsmoothened and uncorrected
frequency plots is what you need, including the information telling about
the measuring circumstances, including phase plots, including directivity
plots, including impedance plots, including waterfall plots, etc., only
then you can learn about the capabilities of the driver (if you inderstand
what you see though...)

I think Supravox is doing a pretty good job at that, with their renewed website.
http://www.supravox.fr/

Tags:

by GC, Saturday, February 19, 2005, 11:12 (6977 days ago) @ GC

Hi Niels,

I think Supravox is doing a pretty good job at that, with their renewed
website.

Yes, better, much better...

Now if all loudspeaker manufacturers would use identical measuring circumstances and show the same smoothing scale, dB scale, time scale and such as standard then at least people can compare the drivers from the measurement point of view.

It will still not explain how they sound though... :-)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread