Trying Horn Supertweeters (Off Topic)

by GC, Monday, March 28, 2005, 01:22 (6967 days ago)

Dear Bert;

I have been listening to Oris 150 horns driven by AER MD3s with Klipsch corner horns for bass for about three months now. I love them. They convey the excitement and substance of live music as well as any system I've ever heard. However, as always I wonder if I could improve things.

The DEQX PDC 2.6 digital crossover/speaker correction/time alignment/room correction device I am using makes achieving good (at least good to my ears)transitions between drivers so easy that I am planning on adding an additional amplifier and a pair of horn supertweeters to my system to see if I hear an improvement.

I remember that in the past you have conducted similar experiments with horn supertweeters. As I recall you even mentioned a particular Fostex horn tweeter on your old WWW board as sounding good and sweet. Which of the Fostex horn tweeters did you find most pleasing? Can you give me any other information that might help me with this experiment?

As always I thank you for the assistance.

Don Reid

Tags:

Trying Horn Supertweeters

by GC, Monday, March 28, 2005, 16:32 (6966 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don,

I remember that in the past you have conducted similar experiments with
horn supertweeters. As I recall you even mentioned a particular Fostex
horn tweeter on your old WWW board as sounding good and sweet. Which of
the Fostex horn tweeters did you find most pleasing? Can you give me any
other information that might help me with this experiment?

The T925A sounding good and balanced best for their very high sensitivity but the T900A's (or T500A's) do sound sweeter and will perform better if you're going the active route.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Trying Horn Supertweeters

by GC, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 01:02 (6950 days ago) @ GC

I am having a great deal of success using Fostex T90A's to extend the upper frequencies of Lowther DX4s in Hedlund horns. They balance nicely the use of BD15s in the base.
I stand-mounted the tweeters alongside the Lowthers and adjusted them back and forth to get time alignment of the drivers.
Cheers Chris

Tags:

And a picture

by GC, Friday, April 15, 2005, 16:27 (6948 days ago) @ GC

You can see the BD15 'Reference' cabinets hiding at the back;-) ;-)
[image]

Tags:

And a picture

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 19:21 (6945 days ago) @ GC

Hi Chris,

I like the stand for the tweeter... :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

And a picture

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 22:11 (6945 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Bert
Just £20 a pair at the UKs Argos Store. Needed just a small mod to allow the Fostex supertweeter to be supported on its own 'stand'.
Cheers Chris

Tags:

And a picture

by GC, Saturday, April 23, 2005, 07:00 (6940 days ago) @ GC

Dear Chris;

Thank you for your response to my post about horn tweeters. I sincerely apologize for my unseemly delay in responding to your post, but a relatively brief episode of narcoleptic withdrawal depression has pretty much kept me from responding to external stimuli the last few weeks.

Your suggestion of the stand for the tweeter is a simple, elegant and entirely sensible one. However, in my usual way I've designed and am building a complex, expensive and outrageously labor intensive teak, bright brass and ebony stand for the horn tweeter which will attach to the teak truncated pyramidal box which is the base of the stand for Oris 150 horns, and will curve upwards behind the back chambers and terminate just above the horizontal center of the bell of the Oris horn. If it works out as I expect I should have it all finished by July or November, and I'll send Bert a few photos.

Thanks again for your post.

Don Reid

Tags:

And a picture

by GC, Saturday, April 23, 2005, 16:57 (6940 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don
Glad your feeling better and look forward to seeing the finished product.
I used the stands to avoid cutting holes in my lovely Hornet Hedlunds.;-) ;-) ;-)

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread