Women in the house... (Off Topic)

by GC, Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 12:08 (6947 days ago)

A funny story,

I worked with three sisters for two years. Since I don't see them every week anymore, I invited them over to my house for some pancakes etc.

They looked around, judged all the furniture etc. and said that I had taste and that I have a nice house. "But we thought you build speakers?" So I pointed to the LaScala's which now have small open baffles with 3" fulrange drivers on them. (Strangely, a very good match. It's just temporary, until I have good tractrix fronthorns ready for the Lowthers, lot of work when you don't have spare time.)

Anyway, I pointed at the LaScala's and they said: "You mean, the little things on those nice sidetables?"

Who would have thought the LaScala's have a high WAF-factor? :-)

Of course, I played them some Snoop Dogg (they're from a very urban-lifestyle part of Amsterdam, so a rock CD won't do much for them) and switched the bass amp on and off. Now they see they aren't just sidetables...

I'm really enthusiastic about the small fullrange drivers, Monacor SP-30X. Unfiltered, off-axis to smooth out the response. Very dynamic sound, plays very loud (not just for a small driver) and on its baffle, somewhat closer to a rear wall, rolls off exactly where the LaScala's do. I have a very even and coherent sound, very clear, warm and spacious. Really suprising. The scale is a bit small, though, so I want my big horns back!

Ivo

Tags:

Women in the house...

by GC, Sunday, April 24, 2005, 09:50 (6935 days ago) @ GC

Dear Ivo;

Since the three sisters are such high IQ, avantgarde, cosmopolitan women I'm desparately curious to know if they ate their pancakes plain as we geniuses in North America do or if they put syrup on them.

I eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Tags:

Women in the house...

by GC, Sunday, April 24, 2005, 14:26 (6935 days ago) @ GC

Ha,

Well I usually bake my pancakes with stuff already in it. Like cheese, or rasped apple. But we did some "naturel" pancakes with syrup, too. These particular sisters are muslim, so we didn't do the ham-pancake thing, which is also very popular in Holland.

I'm preparing a bold step in audio at the moment. You all stay tuned...

Ivo

Dear Ivo;

Since the three sisters are such high IQ, avantgarde, cosmopolitan women
I'm desparately curious to know if they ate their pancakes plain as we
geniuses in North America do or if they put syrup on them.

I eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,
Don Reid

Tags:

Still waiting...

by GC, Monday, April 25, 2005, 09:43 (6934 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

I'm preparing a bold step in audio at the moment. You all stay tuned...

A bold step.... moving to a nother listening room?

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

I wish...

by GC, Monday, April 25, 2005, 11:41 (6934 days ago) @ GC

hi Bert,

A bold step.... moving to a nother listening room?

I wish. I live in Broek in Waterland now, on the "bad" side. A smallish house costs 350.000 euros here. Over on the "good" side, houses are 750.000 euro and (much) over. It's a really picturesque town only minutes outside of Amsterdam, so no wonder it's so expensive. Lots of big SUV's and Volvo's golf clubs in the back. I only live here because I'm a studentflat manager and have a free house on site. I won't be doing much better for a while... ;-)

What the bold step is, will a surprise for now. You'll like it, though, it goes back to an old suggestion you gave me. Taken to its full extent. ;-)

Ivo

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread