question regarding foobar (Off Topic)

by GC, Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 03:47 (6947 days ago)

When I play music from foobar, there is a gap between each track which I think is the time it takes for the data on the hard drive to be loaded into RAM. This becomes a problem when listening to some classical music, especially opera, where there is no silence between tracks. Does anyone know if there is a way to load data from multiple tracks at once so that there is no gap? Thanks!

Tags:

question regarding foobar

by GC, Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 08:45 (6947 days ago) @ GC

Hi Taki,

When I play music from foobar, there is a gap between each track which I
think is the time it takes for the data on the hard drive to be loaded
into RAM. This becomes a problem when listening to some classical music,
especially opera, where there is no silence between tracks. Does anyone
know if there is a way to load data from multiple tracks at once so that
there is no gap?

I have the same problem (live CD's as well) and therefore this is an issue that is on my "to_do" list in regards to new software a friend of mine is working on.

It will probably become a simple player which does automaticly optimises the settings for windows and also loads at least 2 tracks into memory so that the gap will be gone. This will take time though, until then you'll have to copy such CD's as 1 track to your HDD.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 03:48 (6946 days ago) @ GC

Thanks Bert.

I didn't know there is a way to copy multiple tracks as one track. That is really all I would need to do. So how does one do that?

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 03:52 (6946 days ago) @ GC

I wrote a little too hastily there. I guess that would mean no navigating between the CD tracks. That's not good. I hope your friend is able to come up with a nice new solution.

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, April 14, 2005, 07:23 (6946 days ago) @ GC

Hi Taki,

I just experimented with the buffering settings for the tracks. I can set this to 50.000kB (perhaps a bit higher) without skipping between tracks, this is more then most files are in size. The value you can set depends on the speed of your computer. When the tracks are read from a network HDD then it will take longer to have it read into memory, then the value should be lower.

Try to maximize the buffer value for your PC speed until it does not skip anymore. You do need to restart foobar and select a different CD though because that data is already in memory.

I would set the file buffer between 20.000 and 50.000kB. If you never hear skipping again then the value is not too high, if you do hear it skipping once in a while then decrease that value. Each 10.000kB block is already 1 minute of music...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread