Oris room size requirements? (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, April 15, 2005, 02:44 (6923 days ago)

I'm new to horns, haven't heard many of them just the Avantguards casually. I'm curious, is a 10 x 12 lisenting area too small to appreciate all that Oris system can offer?

I'm running away from HiFi and tryng to get to musical enjoyment. Any comments thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
James

Tags:

Oris room size requirements?

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 08:11 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Helo,

It looks that every body is measuring their rooms or just listening their horns and enjoy:))

My Oris setup is now in the room of 2x3 m and it is far too small and cubic. But don't wory it will go biger soon.
From Avantg. manual it is recomended (from my memory) minimum 18sqm for Uno, 25sqm for Duo and 40sqm for Trio.
For Oris I think room from 25 sqm will be good. But the size is not the ultimate criterion. The shape of room, wall material, floor material, distance between speakers, distance between listening spot and speakers, etc.

Best regards,
Gasper.

Tags:

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 16:25 (6919 days ago) @ GC

My Oris setup is now in the room of 2x3 m and it is far too small and
cubic. But don't wory it will go biger soon.
From Avantg. manual it is recomended (from my memory) minimum 18sqm for
Uno, 25sqm for Duo and 40sqm for Trio.
For Oris I think room from 25 sqm will be good. But the size is not the
ultimate criterion. The shape of room, wall material, floor material,
distance between speakers, distance between listening spot and speakers,
etc.

Well, it doesn't appear the Oris DIY will work for my space, unless other can give more input. My room is 3.6m x 6.7m x 2.7m = 24 sqm or 65 cubed meters. My actual listening area is 3.6m x 3.6m where the room is actually partitioned by a bookshelf. And it's not going to grow at all. It seams to truely enjoy a good horn, you need quite a bit more space that what I'm working with. Sigh...

Tags:

by GC, Monday, April 18, 2005, 19:20 (6919 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

Well, it doesn't appear the Oris DIY will work for my space, unless other
can give more input. My room is 3.6m x 6.7m x 2.7m = 24 sqm or 65 cubed
meters. My actual listening area is 3.6m x 3.6m where the room is
actually partitioned by a bookshelf. And it's not going to grow at all.
It seams to truely enjoy a good horn, you need quite a bit more space that
what I'm working with. Sigh...

In principle you can listen to the Oris horns from a short distance but further away will open the sound more. Listening on a short distance makes the sound like coming more from a headphone except that the sound stage remains in position when you turn your head.

The sound coming from the Oris horn is "ready" at the moment that they leave them, you can even listen to them at 1m distance and still liking the balance and integration...

Good to read that the real lenght is longer and that the room is not soild square... :)

If the bookhelf is behind you then this will aborb reflections in a positive way and even prevents severe standing waves!

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 07:00 (6918 days ago) @ GC

Well, I could re-arrange the way I live by taking out the bookshelf, and moving the speakers to the small wall and my listening area back towards where the bookshelf *was*. This would give me more space back from the speakers. In this case I would have 2 solid corners to work with. Is this more optimal when thinking about some kind of bass horn?

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 11:28 (6918 days ago) @ GC

speakers. In this case I would have 2 solid corners to work with. Is
this more optimal when thinking about some kind of bass horn?

Yes, this would be very helpful... :)

What kind of horn do you have in mind?

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 17:13 (6918 days ago) @ GC

speakers. In this case I would have 2 solid corners to work with. Is
this more optimal when thinking about some kind of bass horn?

Yes, this would be very helpful... :)

What kind of horn do you have in mind?

Well, I'm very new to this, so would you have any recommendations?

Tags:

by GC, Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 23:40 (6918 days ago) @ GC

If the walls are solid then you could think of horns like the Klipsch corner horn (preferable shorter in path length). A LaScala horn is an option which can be altered a bit with more volume and added reflex ports for deeper bass. There are also some semi horns (reflex like but then corner loaded with a short horn along the walls).

Most easy and best way to integrate will be something like the Reference Ultra where the bass is loaded with a modified Oris 150 horn though...

Many options but all depends on what you can fit in the corners and whats most important to you regarding performance.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 01:01 (6918 days ago) @ GC

If the walls are solid then you could think of horns like the Klipsch
corner horn (preferable shorter in path length). A LaScala horn is an
option which can be altered a bit with more volume and added reflex ports
for deeper bass. There are also some semi horns (reflex like but then
corner loaded with a short horn along the walls).

I live in a building that was constructed back in the late 1920s, it's 15 floors so I live in a concrete shoebox. My physical room is 22ft x 12ft with the short side having a window with a view and the opposite wall being the back where my bed is. So consider the bed to be a major acoustic damper for the rear? There is a middle partition that holds way too many books that could be removed if I were to arrange my stereo to point the lenghth of the room. This would put my speakers in true corners with a window in between the speakers (I saw many systems conifigured like this on your showroom). My corners are based on verticle concrete beams, so my corners have corners within corners if that makes sense. I would estimate those beams in the corner measure 12" by 6".

Most easy and best way to integrate will be something like the Reference
Ultra where the bass is loaded with a modified Oris 150 horn though...

Many options but all depends on what you can fit in the corners and whats
most important to you regarding performance.

I have another thread that I started about a very recent symphony experience. I'm very turned on with dynamics from that event. If that is realistic or not, it changed the way I view reproduced music. My prioritized are being defined right now. But I do know that my box speakers are good, they aren't THAT good. I'm noticing a deficiency in timber, resolution, timing, speed, and cohereance.

Tags:

being a little more free in design...

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 05:45 (6918 days ago) @ GC
edited by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 05:49

Another thought I'm toying with is to have some custom shelves installed using a custom cabinet/carpenter come in and do the work. Would it be possible to design a bass horn that folds virtically into the corners? Would this give more freedom to design something with a smaller number of negative trade offs?

My thoughts here, would be a 'clean slate' approach that has a lot of freedom in design, dedicated corners with 9 feet of height, 34 inches of width and a 'reasonable' amount of dept to work with? Keeping in mind a custom carpenter who is keen on 'the details' could build along with his shelving job that will integrate with the bass horns so they blend into the interior with hopefully an aesthetic quality to them.

Tags:

being a little more free in design...

by GC, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 23:49 (6916 days ago) @ GC

Another thought I'm toying with is to have some custom shelves installed
using a custom cabinet/carpenter come in and do the work. Would it be
possible to design a bass horn that folds virtically into the corners?
Would this give more freedom to design something with a smaller number of
negative trade offs?

Sure that is an option with the major advantage that you can "hide" it in the room. I am thinking for some time now to start designing a corner loaded horn from floor up to the ceiling using multiple bass drivers to keep the horn short using the same principle as the Klipsch corner horns. Finishing their front the same as the walls would make them dissapear (you could even hide some lamps behind them to create a cosy environment).

But time is short ( in between work already so many fine projects activated! ) so it will take a while before anybody would see a glimp of my ideas.... :(

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

let's not forget the T word...

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 07:43 (6917 days ago) @ GC
edited by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 07:46

Transparency

I recently understood this term when I was auditioning a Japanese 211 SET vs a Russian 6C33C SET, both well known manufactuers, both rated around 18 watts. The Japanese SET sounded so very colored, it had a very harsh distictive fingerprint in the sound reproduction, where as the Russian designed SET was the most transparent I have heard to date, no initial sonic imprint could be heard to my ear. The overall system remained the same, we just swapped out the monoblocks for comparison.

All I heard were instruments and not disconnected bass (relative to the other amps). There was so much more texture in the instruments.

So now that I know what transparency actually means, I think this this ranks very high when considering sound reproduction.

Tags:

let's not forget the T word...

by GC, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 23:51 (6916 days ago) @ GC

Hi again,

So now that I know what transparency actually means, I think this this
ranks very high when considering sound reproduction.

Full-range properly implemented is giving most transparancy and horn loading provides the dynamics...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread