I just went to a sympony... (Off Topic)

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 00:47 (6940 days ago)
edited by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 15:37

And what I heard is what I'm looking for. Is this too much to ask in an audio system?

I was amazed during the warm up, when each musician would warm up at on their own. I could focus on one musician and listen to the sound as he/she would practice.

We were seated in row Z seat 109/110 in the orchestra. So we had a clear view in the middle of the stage. What caught my attention is the bass drum, how softly the musician would 'tap' on it with his furry white topped drumstick, and what a large affect it had, the sound wave just filling the hall. The impact was HUGE. The speed was very fast, but almost followable if that makes sense.

Energy is what comes to mind, the limitless dynamic range that had momentum as the orchestra began to play. The energy was profound.

Am I on the right track to pursue horns?

Tags:

I just went to a sympony...

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 01:56 (6940 days ago) @ GC

Am I on the right track to pursue horns?

Definitely.

If there's something you don't want, then it's compression. If you want instruments to catch your attention, instead of you having to focus on it, then you want single driver/wideband.

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 06:28 (6940 days ago) @ GC

Definitely.

If there's something you don't want, then it's compression. If you want
instruments to catch your attention, instead of you having to focus on it,
then you want single driver/wideband.

Yes, I want to beable to hear the instruments in chorus relative to different kinds of instruments, be it the various horns, strings, precusion and voices.

Tags:

by GC, Sunday, April 24, 2005, 14:54 (6935 days ago) @ GC

Yes, I want to beable to hear the instruments in chorus relative to
different kinds of instruments, be it the various horns, strings,

You are definitely on the right track. But, alas, the Oris/ AER DM3 is so good, that it has much more revealing power than the best LP or CD has in its storage. Now if you want a real symphony, apart from live, and I get hear this once or twice a week in Vienna so I know, then you need to make your own mini mike (DPA) and DAT (sony PCM 1) recordings..or listen to master tapes. Then the live symphony, chamber music, chorals will appear in your living room. The best LPs and CDs will be brought much closer to the live reality than on any other system, especially if they have been recorded with only 2 mikes and with a small number of instruments, and/ or vocalists and closely miked.. See the SHOWROOM for my setup.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread