Fellow Horn Speake Lovers in/near London (Off Topic)

by GC, Thursday, April 28, 2005, 01:56 (6931 days ago)

Hi All,

My wife, Mary, and I are going to take a vacation in England May 18-27 of this year. Mary is as passionate about horticulture as I am about music and audio. It has occurred to me that even though I too am a gardener I tire of gardens, aborteums, flower shows, etc. well before Mary. An alternate diversion is in order.

I would really love to meet, talk with and listen with a fellow audiophile who enjoys wide range driver-horn loaded speakers as much as I do. I know it takes a special sort of person to invite a complete stranger to visit your home just because of a shared avocation, but if you are that sort of person (as I am), and you live in London or no more than a one and one half hour train ride away I would love to hear from you. I would be glad to pick up a bottle of wine or Scotch or whatever your favorite poison is on the way.

I'm a fifty-five year old American with a slow, thick southern drawl, a white beard, seven fingers, a beautiful wife of thirty-five years and an incurable propensity for poking fun at stereotypes and at myself. I write occassional published newspaper columns, poetry and quirky humor.

If you should invite me I'll be easy to identify as I approach your flat or house. I'll be the one with a bottle of wine in my left hand and a H&K assault rifle in my right. I'm totally just kidding about the firearm, of course. The last two times I brought a full auto assault rifle in through Gatwick I had one hell of a time. Those UK customs officers have little or no appreciation for a man's inalienable right to keep and bear arms. Now I just settle for my broad sword with the ruby and emerald encrusted haft.

Don Reid

Tags:

Fellow London Horn Lovers, Addendum

by GC, Thursday, April 28, 2005, 10:06 (6931 days ago) @ GC

Hi Again,

After posting my previous request for an English invitation my wife went to bed. I retired to my workshop-literary works where I quaffed a 375 ml bottle of Three Olives Vodka (neat chased by huge draughts of spring water from a copiously flowing crystal clear mountain spring about a kilometer from my home) while I wrote a song which is a parody of pathos laden insufferably whining American country music songs.

Following that diversion I stopped by the PC, and visited Bert'sWWWboard to see how many errors I overlooked in my previous post. After reading it I became concerned that my joking about firearms might lead others to believe I am the sort of ugly American who will insult and bore you as I repeatedly explain why the USA should rule the world. I'm not, and I won't. Actually I'm a bit of an isolationist. I love the USA with all my heart and soul, but I'm increasingly dismayed by its actions such as being the aggressor nation in wars of aggression such as Grenada, Panama and especially Iraq. Also if President Bush is your personal hero please totally disregard my previous post seeking an invitation to visit.

Bye,
Don Reid

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, April 28, 2005, 15:28 (6931 days ago) @ GC

Don,

I'm sure that the users of this board would not have taken any offence from your previous post.

I'd love to have a visit with you, but unfortunately I live in Paris (temporarily), but my Oris are back home in New Zealand (where George Bush is not a hero to many)

Russell

Tags:

by GC, Friday, April 29, 2005, 01:50 (6930 days ago) @ GC

Russell,

Thank you for your kind response. If you ever visit the USA, please know I'd be delighted to have you drop in. My e-mail address will be available on this board unless Bert gets tired of me veering off topic too oftem and runs me off.

Don

Tags:

by GC, Friday, April 29, 2005, 10:30 (6930 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don,

When I get tired of it then nobody will know but don't worry, you do behave reasonable normal so far... :)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Fellow Horn Speake Lovers in/near London

by GC, Saturday, April 30, 2005, 13:08 (6929 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don
You are most welcome to come visit whilst you are in the UK. You should be able to get to us in Bishops Stortford (near Stansted Airport) in about 1 hour from central London.
Unlike you I am using rear loaded horns (Hedlunds), but like you I am experimenting with subs and supertweeters.
I will drop you an e mail a little later.
Cheers Chris

Tags:

by GC, Saturday, April 30, 2005, 21:14 (6929 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don
You are most welcome to come visit whilst you are in the UK. You should be
able to get to us in Bishops Stortford (near Stansted Airport) in about 1
hour from central London.
Unlike you I am using rear loaded horns (Hedlunds), but like you I am
experimenting with subs and supertweeters.
I will drop you an e mail a little later.
Cheers Chris

Chris;

Thank you very much for your kind invitation. I look forward to receiving your e-mail.

Believe it or not I have quite recently developed a particular interest in Hedlund horns because of excellent reports about them I have read on the High Efficiency Speaker Asylum and also because of photographs of the remarkably beautiful pair of Hedlunds built by the late John Sherwood. Besides that, I can enjoy Oris horns whenever I walk into my den.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Thanks again.

Don

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 14:09 (6925 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don
Did my e mail get through?
Cheers Chris

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, May 05, 2005, 02:23 (6924 days ago) @ GC

Hi Don
Did my e mail get through?
Cheers Chris

Hi Yourself, Chris,

Your e-mail did get through. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been out of town shopping for a new farm tractor. I don't own a farm, just a typical yard or garden(?),for my area, of 0.033 square Kilometers, but I've been driving various John Deere farm tractors since I was a kid, and I enjoy a nice tractor the way some people, including me, enjoy tube amps or horn speakers.

I have now e-mailed a response to your e-mail. I am sorry for the delay. Thank you again for your gracious invitation.

Salubrious Salutations,
Don

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread