Question (giving away my bold step..) (Off Topic)

by GC, Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 17:31 (6898 days ago)

Hi Bert,

You once told me that the biggest acceptable horn for Lowthers was about 120 Hz. So, for my new hobby project, I chose 120 Hz tractrix horns. That's the bold step. I'm a man, bigger is better. ;-)

Anyway, the horns will quite close to corners. Will this affect their response or not? I'm wondering whether it will either make them go lower (closer to their mathematical cut-off) of if it will over-accentuate frequencies.

I was hoping that it would make little or no difference, but if the proximiy to corners has very negative effects, perhaps I should choose a higher cut off.

Ivo

Tags:

Question (giving away my bold step..)

by GC, Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 17:38 (6898 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

Anyway, the horns will quite close to corners. Will this affect their
response or not? I'm wondering whether it will either make them go lower
(closer to their mathematical cut-off) of if it will over-accentuate
frequencies.

If the horn is fully built then it does not have much effect besides normal room influences, if the horn is foreshortened then the walls will help to make it "feel" bigger smoothening the lower response...

Any pictures? :-)

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 01:37 (6897 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to hear what these monsters will do when they are done. I suspect I will need tweeters, though.

Any pictures? :-)

Eh, do you want a screen-shot of the Excel-sheet? :-P These exist on my harddisk only. I will make them by stacking rings. The way it's thought out now, the sawing will take one work day and I will need one work day to glue each horn. I need about two days on each horn to do finishing stuff. I won't sand the rings, I will smooth the steps out using woodfiller. The result will be uglier, but I will be less tired.

My best guess it that, from the day I start sawing, it will be one or two weeks, maximum. I have some quiet weekends coming up, so soon.

Laters,
Ivo

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 08:57 (6897 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

Eh, do you want a screen-shot of the Excel-sheet? :-P

No, the real deal when done... :-D

won't sand the rings, I will smooth the steps out using woodfiller. The
result will be uglier, but I will be less tired.

Will it be a square, oval or a round horn?

If possible try to angle the cuttings so that you need much less filler. The stuf is not too cheap and you'll need a lot to fill the square grooves...

My best guess it that, from the day I start sawing, it will be one or two
weeks, maximum. I have some quiet weekends coming up, so soon.

I found that it takes about 4 times longer then "calculated". Time is running pretty fast while working... some days I have the feeling I did do much less than I thought I could do....

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 16:03 (6897 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert,

Will it be a square, oval or a round horn?

Round. Might as well, after all the hard work.

If possible try to angle the cuttings so that you need much less filler.
The stuf is not too cheap and you'll need a lot to fill the square
grooves...

Good suggestion.

I found that it takes about 4 times longer then "calculated". Time is
running pretty fast while working... some days I have the feeling I did do
much less than I thought I could do....

I find that too. Especially at work, where I have little influence over what my colleagues do, but also in my studies and while DIY-ing. But if I count realistic hours, I will e so overwhelmed that I will never start... ;-)

Ivo

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread