Modular-BD (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, July 01, 2005, 22:50 (6873 days ago)

[img]images/uploaded/image52.jpg[/img]
Hello Bert,

After almost 2 months of grinding and polishing I finished the reconstruction of my loudspeakers last weekend, so I listened to them for about 10 hours by now. Already with the first CD I noticed that the BD-15 integrate better with the Fostex 208S than the Eton woofers. I think that this is because they are more similar in construction (paper come and suspension). I also noticed that my filter setting can be quite different and I think that I have not yet found the optimum. My question related to this is how long do the BD-15s need to break in and what changes in sound can I expect during this process?

Tags:

Modular-BD

by GC, Saturday, July 02, 2005, 10:11 (6873 days ago) @ GC

Hi Eddy,

After almost 2 months of grinding and polishing I finished the reconstruction

Is that a massive panel? Nice work!

I also noticed that my filter setting can be quite different
and I think that I have not yet found the optimum.

The bass has a lower Q and gives less distortion making them sound cleaner and less "warm".

My question related to this is how long do the BD-15s need to break in
and what changes in sound can I expect during this process?

Breaking them in depends on how hard you let them work but after 2 weeks average playing the drivers should be settled. The effect is that you'll hear the driver's own character less in time.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Modular-BD

by GC, Monday, July 04, 2005, 21:21 (6870 days ago) @ GC

Hello Bert,

Yes, the panels are 26 mm thick solid beech, it is sold in plates of 250x61 cm which was just large enough for two fronts. This wood is heavy and strong and it is relatively easy to shape and polish if you have sharp tools.

Yesterday I made a test that I had in mind already before buying the BD-15s. Since my Fostex 208S has a sensitivity of 96.5 dB and the BD-15 has 99 dB, but is 16 Ohm, I thought that they might work well using only my Audio Note Kit one and a series inductor with the BD-15. To my surprise the BD-15 was almost inaudible even with my ear almost pressed to its cone. I caNot explain this very low bass output, did I make some mistake here?

One of the reasons to do this test was also because I have a small hum in my tube amp which is amplified by the bass amps making it just audible at the listening position. So I will have to look into my amplifier again to solve the hum problem. It is already there when all other equipment is disconnected and the inputs are shorted. Its sound is quite sharp, if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. I already tried what I could with cables and grounding, this made no difference at all.

About breaking in, after just over one week they already sound a lot better than the first evening. I would have guessed that this should take much longer. They now deliver lots of details that I never heard with the Etons, not only in the deep bass but even more in the cross-over region with the Fostex. So despite the hum problem I am very happy with my new speakers.

Yours,
Eddie

Tags:

Modular-BD

by GC, Tuesday, July 05, 2005, 12:10 (6870 days ago) @ GC

Hi Eddie,

One of the reasons to do this test was also because I have a small hum in
my tube amp which is amplified by the bass amps making it just audible at
the listening position. So I will have to look into my amplifier again to
solve the hum problem. It is already there when all other equipment is
disconnected and the inputs are shorted. Its sound is quite sharp, if
anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. I already tried what I
could with cables and grounding, this made no difference at all.

I had the same problem with my amps.
I don't know what you can do yourself, but I placed a set of 'Heater Supplies' in my 2A3 amps.
They made the hum disapear totaly, and made the amps sound a little beter.
Look at www.tentlabs.com

succes
Werner

Tags:

Modular-BD

by GC, Thursday, July 07, 2005, 11:02 (6868 days ago) @ GC

Hi Eddy,

Yesterday I made a test that I had in mind already before buying the
BD-15s. Since my Fostex 208S has a sensitivity of 96.5 dB and the BD-15
has 99 dB, but is 16 Ohm, I thought that they might work well using only
my Audio Note Kit one and a series inductor with the BD-15. To my surprise
the BD-15 was almost inaudible even with my ear almost pressed to its cone.
I caNot explain this very low bass output, did I make some mistake here?

Assuming that you've connected the filter properly, what is the value of the coil (R and L)?

The output in the deeper bass will be less due to the higher impedance (drawing half the power for the same applied Voltage) and because the driver has a low Qts. Besides this the level in the bass while listening is always pretty low compared to the mid-high frequencies.

Did you try to connect the drivers in parralel (BD15-Fostex) without coil?

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread