foobar remote control (Off Topic)

by GC @, Sunday, July 10, 2005, 01:32 (6837 days ago)

Ever wanted a remote control for Foobar ?

I don't know if this has ever been posted before but I just wanted to let you know. It's not something I figured out myself but I was looking for it for quite a long time until I had found the perfect working solution to use my infrared remote control with foobar.

It's very simple actualy. All you need is to build yourself a very simple infrared receiver for your serial RS232 port (sorry, doesn't work with usb, tried that first but didn't find a good solution for usb) . Anyone who has ever had held a soldering iron in his hands can build this, realy, it's that simple. Instructions can be found here http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

After that you need to install the winlirc server wich can be found here Link. Run the program and install the sample configuration file. Now you can learn the program every button from any remote you like. Don't forget to put the winlirc server in the windows startup menu

Next get the Foobar winlirc plugin and dump it in the foobar components directory. Now you have a lirc client in the Foobar core where you can add actions to the remote control buttons you have just learnt the winlirc server.

It works just great, I can now skip songs, stop, play, pause, show song info big on the screen etc etc via my remote control.

Again, very sorry if this subject has been discused a thousand times before, just wanted to be of some help.

Tags:

foobar remote control

by GC @, Sunday, July 10, 2005, 01:35 (6837 days ago) @ GC

Sorry, forgot the Foobar plugin link, here it is (very well known site I suppose), look for the foo_lirc plugin http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/general.php

Tags:

foobar remote control

by GC, Thursday, July 14, 2005, 15:56 (6833 days ago) @ GC

Hi Sjef,

Thanks for the tip! It is a good option for people who do not have a PDA with wireless network card... :))

I should try that, much more easy to skip, stop and play tracks that way..

Mostly I walk to my laptop or play the whole list and when I want to do things on "remote" I use my PDA. This gives me also pictures of the albums and such.

To have it work like that you'll need a network with a wireless accespoint and a wireless card in your PDA. The sofware to be able to make it work is called Xlobby at www.xlobby.com

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread