Horn Bass (BD-Design)

by GC @, Monday, July 25, 2005, 05:37 (6843 days ago)

Hello Everyone

Is anyone using folded horn bass cabinets with their Oris horns? Specifically, Bill Fitzmaurice has some really nice bass solutions on his webpage at:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com

The Tuba 30 looks very tempting and actually doesn't take up THAT much room when you consider the slim model.

-Jim

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC, Monday, July 25, 2005, 08:16 (6843 days ago) @ GC

Helo,

Did you try trought the SHOWROOM?
There are some nice solutions for bass.:-)

Regards,

Gasper.

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC @, Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 06:59 (6842 days ago) @ GC

Gasper

I definitely have. Just researching other alternatives.

A couple of Altec 515's would be nice as well. It just seems like the Tuba 30's would provide the lightning fast horn resonse in a not so big package.

JW

Helo,

Did you try trought the SHOWROOM?
There are some nice solutions for bass.:-)

Regards,

Gasper.

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC, Monday, July 25, 2005, 09:06 (6843 days ago) @ GC

Hi Jim,

Is anyone using folded horn bass cabinets with their Oris horns?
Specifically, Bill Fitzmaurice has some really nice bass solutions on his
webpage at:

Good bass is one thing, good integration is another...

If you want a real good horn loaded bass then size does matter.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC @, Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 07:00 (6842 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert

Have you heard of anyone using folded bass horns with your front horns? I think it would be a really nice, fairly compact, solution. The path length of the Tuba 30 is something like 8 ft and it reaches down into the 30-40Hz range.

JW

Hi Jim,

Is anyone using folded horn bass cabinets with their Oris horns?
Specifically, Bill Fitzmaurice has some really nice bass solutions on

his

webpage at:

Good bass is one thing, good integration is another...

If you want a real good horn loaded bass then size does matter.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC, Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 09:37 (6842 days ago) @ GC

Hi Jim,

Have you heard of anyone using folded bass horns with your front horns? I
think it would be a really nice, fairly compact, solution. The path length
of the Tuba 30 is something like 8 ft and it reaches down into the 30-40Hz
range.

Yes, I've heard several different types folded horns in combination with my front horns. They all have the same problem (at least for me after years playing with them) and that is timing...

The bass of horns is the best there is (highly depending on the used drivers and rigidy of the construction!) but their time delay is highly reducing the fun (at least for me...).

I still have my 18ft long concrete horns but I only use them for HT, the Oris system with the BD15's perform overall speaking better than the big horn.

Here is a picture made during the construction...

[img]images/uploaded/image55.jpg[/img]

Now if there was only a good digital delay available without their disadvantages...

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC, Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 14:51 (6842 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I heard Bert's subhorns. It's a long time ago, when I had little reference material, but it is one of my highlights. It was so clear and so easy-sounding. It came out of nowhere, it had so much power but was so delicate at the same time. It didn't sound like a cabinet.

Compared with Bert's current reference bass cabinets, the lowest bass did sound a bit different, so I guess I agree with Bert that the time delay can be heard. But let me put it this way, I was very surprised when Bert aNounced he wasn't going to use his subhorns again. Later, I heard the reference cabs myself and I didn't miss the subhorns.

Peter van VennHel used to have bass horns, he corrected the delay with a digital EQ. Once, while playing some music, he switched off the correction. Wow... Perfect (or adequate) time-alignment really makes a big difference, but you only realise this when you here the difference side by side. I'm sure that if I had heard Bert's reference design and then with his subhorns immediately after, I would have hated the subhorns.

I think Bert's huge concrete horns sounded better than two different wooden bass horns with 50 Hz cut off (so the two designs were smaller) that I heard on separate occasions. So going for the smallest available horn package might not be the best choice.

Keep in mind that Bill Fitzmaurice very specifically designed the T30 as a subwoofer of a 3-way PA-combination. It wasn't designed to function up to where Oris horns take over, especially the Oris 200.

Maybe you should ask this question over at Bill's forum. I think he will not recommend this combination.

Regards,
Ivo

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC @, Wednesday, July 27, 2005, 05:39 (6841 days ago) @ GC

Thank you Bert and Ivo. I'd really like to try this set up out...but yes the time delay issue is what I'm struggling with.

I did post the question on Bill's website and the responses I received were actually quite positive. I gotta think the Tuba 30's with the JBL drivers would be a sweet match for the Oris 150's. They're suprisingly flat all the way to close to 200Hz.

Tags:

Horn Bass

by GC, Thursday, August 11, 2005, 20:30 (6826 days ago) @ GC

Thank you Bert and Ivo. I'd really like to try this set up out...but yes
the time delay issue is what I'm struggling with.

I have Tuba 36s that I use professionally. I've played with delay to the mains and can't tell the difference, but I cross at 80 Hz. From what I understand delay doesn't get problematic below 100 Hz but gets really critical above 200 Hz.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread