ORIS 150 - fostex 206 (BD-Design)

by GC, Friday, August 12, 2005, 21:27 (6803 days ago)

Hello,

I am looking for people who used the FE206 when building the ORIS 150. Because my budget is limited, I would like to start with this fostex driver. I hope to gather enough information to get a nice playing system for the time being, at least until I can buy a better driver.

All information is welcome !

Regards,
Martin :Y:

Tags:

ORIS 150 - fostex 206

by GC, Saturday, August 13, 2005, 09:45 (6802 days ago) @ GC

Hi Martin,

All information is welcome !

In my showroom you can find Ringo Chan and Michael Methe, both used the FE206E as first driver (Ringo with the Oris 200 and Michael with the Oris 150).

Go to the showroom and click on their serial number to write them an email.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

ORIS 150 - fostex 206

by GC @, Sunday, August 14, 2005, 20:13 (6801 days ago) @ GC

Hello,

I found an interesting site which made a fostex fe206 driver with a fase-plug: http://www.decware.com/newsite/fe206em.htm
It looks to me like a part of a toolbox what is used as a fase-plug. Is there anybody who has experience with this driver ?

Regards,
Martin :-)

Tags:

ORIS 150 - fostex 206

by GC, Monday, August 15, 2005, 00:16 (6801 days ago) @ GC

hi Martin it looks to me
they paint the back of the driver red and put a simpel .....i dont now the word in english, (dopsleutel uit een doppendoos)on the driver
here is a link to what i mean with dopsleutel http://www.erenka.com/gereedschap.htm
regards Robert

Tags:

ORIS 150 - fostex 206

by GC, Monday, August 15, 2005, 17:57 (6800 days ago) @ GC

I used 206Es in a 200 horn at first. In fact, they worked quite well and held their own against Lowther DX3s. There's a company that makes wooden phase plugs for 206E drivers. http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

I had them construct a pair of extended length plugs (2 11/16" ) for my 206E's. They made a noticeable improvement. The upper-midrange aggressiveness seemed to be tamed a bit and the highs were opened up. The reproduction was considerable less congested. Additionally, the soundstage was widened along with the off-axis response - especially given the directionality of front-loaded horns.

The 206E is a wonderful driver for the money. But the need a lot of break-in time (200+ hours).

Cheers,
Hat

[img]images/uploaded/image61.jpg[/img] [img]images/uploaded/image62.jpg[/img]

Tags:

Phase plug Q.'s

by GC, Friday, August 26, 2005, 20:40 (6789 days ago) @ GC

Q.'s:

Was it tricky to cut off the dustcap without cutting the whizzer cone where it connects to the cone and former?

Aren't you worried that you've opened up the voice coil to more dust?

Is it easy to fit these phase plugs exactly in the center so that the cone doesn't rub against them?

Thanks.

Tags:

Phase plug Q.'s

by GC, Monday, August 29, 2005, 23:26 (6786 days ago) @ GC

Was it tricky to cut off the dustcap without cutting the whizzer cone
where it connects to the cone and former?

Not at all. All it takes is a steady hand and a sharp Xacto :Y:

Aren't you worried that you've opened up the voice coil to more dust?

Not really. I was before I proceeded with the dustcap-ectomy, but once removed, it was still relatively shielded from foreign particles.

Is it easy to fit these phase plugs exactly in the center so that the cone
doesn't rub against them?

Very. Again, a steady hand is all it takes :-D

Best,
Mike

Tags:

Thanks. I'm going to try it. NT

by GC, Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 16:02 (6784 days ago) @ GC

Tags:

Thanks. I'm going to try it. NT

by GC, Thursday, September 01, 2005, 20:22 (6783 days ago) @ GC

Hi, I hope you will share your findings with us ! I am also considering to modify a Fostex 206 unit. Regards Martin :-D

Tags:

Phase plug Q.'s

by GC ⌂ @, Victoria, BC, Canada, Tuesday, October 04, 2005, 20:47 (6750 days ago) @ GC

Ben,

Is it easy to fit these phase plugs exactly in the center so that the cone
doesn't rub against them?

The plugs Hat has are fixed magnetically with screws embedded ito the wood, This makes adjustment easy & removal possible. It also allows the plugs to wander sometimes, in which case a tiny bit of ductseal or blue-tak can be placed on the base to dramatically increase the sideways friction.

dave

Thanx Hat for the positive review.

Tags:

Phase plug Q.'s

by GC, Tuesday, October 04, 2005, 22:31 (6750 days ago) @ GC

Dave,
It's nice to hear that there are people who are putting efforts in upgrading Fostex 206 units. I hope you can help me making a phase plug for the Fostex unit in the Oris 150 horn. I think the standard short version is not enough for using it in the Oris horn.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Martin :-D

Tags:

Phase plug Q.'s

by GC ⌂ @, Victoria, BC, Canada, Tuesday, October 04, 2005, 22:48 (6750 days ago) @ GC

Martin,

It's nice to hear that there are people who are putting efforts in
upgrading Fostex 206 units. I hope you can help me making a phase plug for
the Fostex unit in the Oris 150 horn. I think the standard short version is
not enough for using it in the Oris horn.

The phase plugs all started as an effort to kill the last of the upper mail voice honk inherent in the RS40-1197 & FE103A we were using in Bert's double-driver ML-TQWT. That evolved into a regular product for that class of driver, and expanded to cover the popular RS 40-1354. The fellow who makes them for me has FE167 in ML-TLs, and he discovered that the ones for the 1354 fit perfectly. Customer demand spawned the 206/207 plugs and we have endeavored to fulfill custom orders for customers, doing plugs for Coral Beta, Eminance (monsters those) and the long 206 plugs for use in the Oris and other front loaded horns.

Sales are still quite small, but everyone has to start somewhere :^) Everything is hand-made from salvaged wood grown on the Island (doesn't take all that big a scrap to make a set of plugs)

dave

Tags:

Equalization/Modification for the FE206

by GC, Monday, August 15, 2005, 19:45 (6800 days ago) @ GC

I haven't heard the drivers. But I have read some of the posts about the modified driver. Those who have them believe that the phase plug makes it sound better than the original. And I certainly accept that. But they also maintain that the modifications equalize the mid-high frequency rise and raggedness, WITHOUT lowering efficiency. I don't think this is possible.

I think you can do a lot with the FE206 in terms of simple series and parallel networks. Those changes will turn your FE206 system into a 93dB/W system at best, instead of a 96 dB/W one. A glance at the manufacturer data suggests that this is mandatory to get an even sound out of the FE206, although with one of the Fostex horns in the room corners, I bet there is a good deal of bass reinforcement. Maybe the FE166 can do without.

I intend to compare Bert's circuits for the singular, as well as others mentioned by M. King for his ML-TL, and my own predictions. I can put up with midbass/lower midrange bloom, but above 1kHz, I want things to be flat, certainly not rising.

If you are considering the price of the modified FE206, I would look to the Fostex Sigma range instead.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread