Digital EQ/XO software for PC? (Off Topic)

by GC, Thursday, September 01, 2005, 16:55 (6809 days ago)

Hi,

Some time ago (months, perhaps a year), there was discussion about free software for EQ, digital crossover and time delay. I thought it was called AXCO, but google searches don't produce anything. Does anyone remember what it was called and where I can download it again?

It needs a soundcard that can deliver 2x stereo line outputs, so I couldn't use it at the time. I have had a new computer for a few months now and, while adjusting a setting somewhere, discovered that the soundcard supports 5.1 channels. It's standard, I'm not a gamer so I wouldn't have put it in myself. I think this soundcard is able to run the software.

Any hints are appreciated!

Ivo

Tags:

Digital EQ/XO software for PC?

by GC, Thursday, September 01, 2005, 17:06 (6809 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

A simple search on this board (using search string "old messages") brought me to a topic with links to the old forum. Searching through the old forum with the string "AXCO" brought me to the topic discussed there. Here is a direct link to that topic (including the link to the AXCO download page).

http://www.bd-design.info/forum/reply.php?id=7504,7504

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, September 01, 2005, 17:23 (6809 days ago) @ GC

Hi Bert,

Thank you very much! I'll download it and try to get it to run. Delay the mids, some deeper bass from the LaScala's, that sort of thing. I think it won't be a permanent part of the system, I'm quite happy with my CDP and amps, but it will be a nice way to fill the sunday afternoons.

A simple search on this board (using search string "old messages")

Ah, I didnĀ“t include old messages in my search.

Thanks again, Ivo

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, September 01, 2005, 17:09 (6809 days ago) @ GC

PS:

I made a design for a rel. low-Fc Tractrix horn, a bit like the Voigt horn. I'm currently stressing on how to build it. It's a bit like a Western Electric snail horn, because I wanted it to have smooth turns. It also expands in all directions, all the time. Everything always seems like a good idea on paper. ;-)

Ivo

Tags:

AXCO running

by GC, Wednesday, September 14, 2005, 04:28 (6797 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I have all machines, wires and speakers connected now. AXCO installed and a few CDs ripped and saved in the directory. So far so good.

Then about an hour of trial and error. There's a problem somwhere in the software, because it doesn't play a file after specifying a certain filter and delay.

Anyway, I've had fun tonight and I think it will be even more fun when I begin to understand the software and can tweak it as planned.

(A very sleepy) Ivo ...

Tags:

AXCO running

by GC, Wednesday, September 14, 2005, 22:54 (6796 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

As far as I can tell now, the soundcard is sending the same signal to the mid-amps and bass-amps. I have stereo, but setting different crossover points seems to make no difference at all.

I wanted to do a 12dB crossover at 50Hz or so. Basically letting the fullrange unit run free and equalising Bert's LaScala flat from 200 Hz downwards. I would expect a bassheavy sound like this (I have studied Bert's filter a bit, it takes into account room gain in the bass). Instead, I have relatively soft bass and a very ugly lower midrange honk where the bass and fulrange unit overlap.

There must be a setting I have wrong, perhaps in the software of my soundcard?

Ivo

Tags:

AXCO running

by GC, Thursday, September 15, 2005, 08:53 (6796 days ago) @ GC

Hi Ivo,

There must be a setting I have wrong, perhaps in the software of my
soundcard?

I never worked with the AXCO program so I can't tell where to look. I do know that the LaScala has a rising response but if the EQ is working (did you measure the response?) then this should not be the problem.

My guess is that you'll need to add a passive filter to the LaScala so that the basic setup is working well and then measure and equalise with AXCO.

Ciao,

Bert

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread