Anyone built a Quasar Mk2? (BD-Design)

by fu_man @, Monday, February 20, 2006, 13:04 (6640 days ago) @ Bert

What were you missing, the clarity of the CLS or the openess of the
sound?

Well, yes, and yes. the clarity and the openess. that's a very good way to express it really. I dont find that i can accurately describe sound in the manner of a reviewer. The first time i heard ML's i was attracted to the sound "floating" across the room. Extremely non fatiguing. Prior to that listening too long used to leave me irritated. I used to say i didnt like boxes because they had too much colouration, but i dont know if that's true. i heard many good 'boxes'. Shahinians for example. Recently i heard a high end Linn system at a dealers which whilst impressive didnt capture me... unitl they changed from the universal player to a turntable..wow. that was the first time i realy understood what vinyl junkies are on about, i really felt it. That sound was about as good as i have heard. and through boxes! But soon after listening to some horn speaker (it took years before i got the chance) they moved me in a differnt way - the sound flowed out abolutely effortlessly. (that was in a big room)
I tried listening to Gallo refernce 3's but they didnt recreate the same effect. They did have an amazingly spooky width of sound. Some Zu druids impressed me even more but still didnt give me goosebumps. (only heard at a reseller so maybe i didnt give them enough time.)
I find the Martin Logans ('full range'panels) very easy to listen to. Non demanding yet involving with their detail. I guess for this same reason i find them very weak with any type of rock.

I've never really heard OB speakers (unless those funny looking Lowthers at the London hifi show last year were) but the idea of no box seems promising - and yes i'll admit those Quasars LOOK awesome!

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread