Improvement on cd-players (Off Topic)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 06:52 (6036 days ago) @ Guido tent

Hallo Guido!
I´m well aware, that the stability expressed in ppm, has no indication of the existing jitter.
Phase noise is a way also to express jitter, as also can be seen on the link You provided. The generator I use, has very low phase noise, which was a reason for the choice! The generator used is a decade generator, which gives less problems than a "normal" wide band synthesizer. Also the gps/rhubidium/caesium frequency standard has extrmely low phase noise. Of course all coupling is done by matched transformers, to avoid ground loops and harmonics, as well as rf-problems.
I agree, that a real good crystal based oscillator is the better solution. I think of the class of for example a HP 10811A, which has a phase noise down to -150dBc. Unfourtunately, I didn´t find a crystal oscillator of that quality in the required frequency.
I measured several tcxo´s in the range of the ones also offered by Trent labs. The performance in aspects of jitter, phase noise, and general noise floor are much worse, than the system I´m using now.
I don´t claim to have found the "final solution" - there will always be measures to get further improvements!
I´m interested in further discussins, regarding this topic!
By the way, thanks for mentioning that link - some very intersting articles can be found there! That´s one of the reasons, I like this forum so much - always to find new concepts to think about and some to put the into real life!
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread