Unbiased-biased view (Swing)

by GC, Friday, December 07, 2007, 08:25 (5995 days ago) @ MikeH
edited by GC, Friday, December 07, 2007, 08:33

Many of the respected reviewers are way too old to have good high frequency
hearing. They should use their experience in the midtrange and bass and
refrain from comment on what they can no longer sense accurately.
I am tortured by mushy smashed sibilance everywhere. Crisp highs indeed, a
packet of potato crisps... A gritty CRUNCH CRUNCH in my ears.
So many systems are rubbish above 17kHz. They may be flat response but the
distortion is terrible.

The insane jabbering of many "reviewers" makes me think they are taking
LSD.
The true measure of a good system is the owner's enthusiasm and joy.
The owners virtually coming out into the street, taking strangers by the
arm and saying "You must come and listen to this!"

Hahaha Mike

For me this is funny. I have great symphaty for your post. It's so pinpointing sharp and illustrative.

The fun comes in because lately I did a sensibility test to my own ears. 13 kHz and goodbuy.
Many years ago I could deal with 18 kHz. Now....bweeehh. :no:

Does it then mean I could have saved >5 kHz from the price of the Swings? :grin: Simply just have bought a good bass/midrange system? Haha...

OK more seriously. You are touching an delicate matter. Reviewers who make their bread and butter from writing about food, cars, cameras, PC's, architecture, audio and bla bla, can they be critical and objective?
From one point of view I caNot see why they caNot. From another point of view I caNot see how they would dare? Adverticement and nice reviews goes together.
(Just for everybodys information. Bert does not advertice in any of my "Magazines", eventhough it's hypotetical this example)

It happened to me as well. I bought quite some gear based on a good review and that gear turned out very disapointing to me.
I read the articles once more, but no, could not have been the same product the reviewer and I listened to.

That lead me to the conclusion that actually peoples own opinions having the gear running themselves, those opinions are much more valuable to me than any magazine review.
And those people raving about their system, such as I do, do not charge you for anything testing their opinions out.
There are not many hi-end shops left on the globe anymore. So the oportunity you have when searching for more is to find one who already poces what you are looking for and ask youself in for a listen.

Therefore I let my doors open should one be triggered by my praisings of the Swings etc. They can hear by themselves if I had a tad to much LSD in my youth. :grin:

GC

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread