Active filters? (Off Topic)

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 04, 2009, 06:36 (5561 days ago) @ carlesdg

Hello Carles,

Using an active filter I wish to remove the passive filters and try to obtain a more dynamic sound (and detailed?).

That is not much helping either... :no:

I was more looking for the complexity you want to replace for an active solution. Basically I can state that I do not think that you will be able to improve the sound by just replacing a passive crossover for an active version, it just does not work if you are not able to measure the speakers after.

It is not just about crossing at a certain frequency with a certain electrical character (Linkwitz, Bessel, etc.) but it has everything to do with the speaker character used where a passive crossover usually is doing more than just crossing somewhere (not talking about Monacor or Visaton ready made passive crossovers...)

Do you have an opinion about the performance of the analogic filter BSS 318? I have a digital BSS 336 and it gives to the sound a digital sense that I donĀ“t like.

I have no idea but I do not think that it will make much of a difference as the net result (with all respect and what you are probably hearing) is not the digital part at first but the wrongly applied principle (the speaker is changed into something incomparable).

Bottom line.... if the designer of the loudspeaker knows what he is doing and applied a proper working passive crossover to his design then an active crossover will always make the sound worse (at least something different) if not applied by the same designer to maintain the original speaker characteristics...

The art to make a speaker sound good has nothing to do with the use of active or passive crossovers.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread