Orphean Crossover (BD-Design)

by Ray P, Sunday, November 21, 2010, 10:05 (4906 days ago)

Hi again, and forgive me asking more questions as I try to fill in some gaps in my understanding.

I have decided to tackle a DIY Orphean build. Initially, at least, I will build a pair of Compact Reference bass units to be equipped with BD15 drive units. I have a good sounding gainclone amplifier available and will utilise that to power the bass units. Obviously the mid/top will be the BMS 4592 drive units, coupled to horns and powered by my Transcendent SE-OTL amplifier (around 1.5W into 8ohms but amazing sound and very quiet so great with high efficiency speakers).

I'm confident on the preceding elements but am unsure how the crossover should be configured and further confused by the info on the BD website, which lists a crossover in relation to the BD15 units but also a filter in relation to the Orphean (which shows a box with, apparently one pair of speaker terminal inputs and two pairs of outputs, seeming to imply a single amplifier for both bass and mid/treble)? Also, how will the mismatch in power/gain of the gainclone and Transcendent amps be accomodated? I would be very grateful for an explanation of the configuration of the Orphean + Compact Ref crossover/filter. Thanks.

Ray

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread