Amplifier for Orphean (Orphean)

by Bert @, Thursday, May 17, 2018, 12:22 (2174 days ago) @ Rami

Hi Rami,

What amplifiers are you using with your Orpheans? Personally I have currently small 2W EL84 based tube amp. I have tested some other amplifiers with these horns (Hypex, Bakoon and Red Wine Audio) and bakoon and my current EL84 are only silent amps with Orphean.

I am using my own SS amps to drive the horns, tried tubes as well (with feedback) and those work well too as long as the SN-ration is less than -80dB.

Any higher and noise becomes audible with your ear to the horn up to noise at the listening position.

I was looking at some 300B type amp (example, lm210ia) but its not always guarenteed that amps are silent with orpheans kind of sensitivity. So the question is what amps have you used with great results in your own Orphean system?

Biggest problem with 300B and the like is hum... 50Hz or it's 2nd harmonic 100Hz (or 60Hz-120Hz). This is not audible through the horn but will be amplified if you use this signal to feed the bass. You'll need to add more gain to the bass channel to keep up with the Orphean.

In that case you should use a pre-amplifier (a silent one!) and feed both amps (main and bass) with this low level signal seperately.

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread