Horn Bass (BD-Design)

by GC, Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 14:51 (6849 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I heard Bert's subhorns. It's a long time ago, when I had little reference material, but it is one of my highlights. It was so clear and so easy-sounding. It came out of nowhere, it had so much power but was so delicate at the same time. It didn't sound like a cabinet.

Compared with Bert's current reference bass cabinets, the lowest bass did sound a bit different, so I guess I agree with Bert that the time delay can be heard. But let me put it this way, I was very surprised when Bert aNounced he wasn't going to use his subhorns again. Later, I heard the reference cabs myself and I didn't miss the subhorns.

Peter van VennHel used to have bass horns, he corrected the delay with a digital EQ. Once, while playing some music, he switched off the correction. Wow... Perfect (or adequate) time-alignment really makes a big difference, but you only realise this when you here the difference side by side. I'm sure that if I had heard Bert's reference design and then with his subhorns immediately after, I would have hated the subhorns.

I think Bert's huge concrete horns sounded better than two different wooden bass horns with 50 Hz cut off (so the two designs were smaller) that I heard on separate occasions. So going for the smallest available horn package might not be the best choice.

Keep in mind that Bill Fitzmaurice very specifically designed the T30 as a subwoofer of a 3-way PA-combination. It wasn't designed to function up to where Oris horns take over, especially the Oris 200.

Maybe you should ask this question over at Bill's forum. I think he will not recommend this combination.

Regards,
Ivo

Tags:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread