BD15 as a subwoofer. (BD-Design)

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 00:08 (6764 days ago)

Hi,

I have the Medallion III/DX3 and I want to build a subwoofer.
I was thinking about the BD15 Reference basic for start and maybe the ultra later.

1. Anybody tried using the BD15 as a subwoofer?
2. Does it fast enough to keep up with the lowthers?
3. If I use the reference ultra as a sub, what will I gain by using the BD15 horn?

Bert, can I buy only one woofer?

Thanks,
Yehuda.

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 10:38 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Helo,

I think that Bert's advice will be better then mine, but at Audiotechnik (www.lowther.de) have two "subs" (lowther needs bass not sub). One is modified Klipsch corner horn (ATK) and smaller is ATS(I have two for supporting ORIS 150 - see showroom), both using 15" driver.

Regards,

Gasper.

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 10:54 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

Do they sell plans or just a finished product?
The Medallions reaches 60Hz in my room so I really need a sub.

Yehuda.

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 12:38 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

Do they sell plans or just a finished product?

I think just finished products. I have some plans but alsoget one original of AT and than build one more for my self.

The Medallions reaches 60Hz in my room so I really need a sub.

I think tha t bass (ATS) goes to 70-80Hz up.

Yehuda.

Regards,
Gasper.

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 11:08 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi Yehuda
I have done a similar thing to underpin my Hedlunds.
[img]http://server3.uploadit.org/files/ChrisV-HiFisystem.JPG[/img]
The BD15 is an excellent driver. Not only does it go deep into sub territory but equally important is that it is optimised to reach upward to the meet the lower frequencies of the Lowthers.

It integrates excellently and is the first 'sub' that I have found to keep up with the speed of the Lowther (previously REL Storm which is no slouch).

You do not have to build the exact reference cabinets, just keep the internal volume the same and also the relex port dimensions.

One BD 15 will perform great but because it is reaching higher frequencies than most subs the positioning is more important. A pair is better;-) ;-) ;-)

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 11:21 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Thanks,

What is the crossover frequency of your 'sub'?

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 11:29 (6764 days ago) @ GC

Hi Yehuda

I use Bert's recommended configuration. You should find this elsewhere on this site.

I take additional outputs from the main amp and run this into Bert's passive low pass filter (set about 70 Hz). This knocks down the signal 'strength' so the output of the filter is now suitable to be fed into the conventional inputs of another amp which drives the subs.

Cheers Chris

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC ⌂ @, Ottawa, Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 22:57 (6763 days ago) @ GC

... to be fed inot the conventional inputs of another amp which drives the subs.

What apms do you actually use to drive the subs?

Thanks,
Dmitry

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:13 (6317 days ago) @ GC

Hi Dmitry
Have look here at my post below. It was a long search but I ended up with the Sugden A21a
http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=9901

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC ⌂ @, Ottawa, Canada, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:13 (6317 days ago) @ GC

Hi Dmitry
Have look here at my post below. It was a long search but I ended up with
the Sugden A21a
http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=9901

Thank you for the link. Sugden A21a is a respectable choice :).
Why didn't you go with Bert's BD30's? To be able to sale it easier in needed?

My speakers are similar to yours. Same DX-4 in back loaded horn (Passion) powered by SE tube amp (Obsession) (http://ca.geocities.com/dk-diy@rogers.com). I'd want to add BD15 based subs to the system and, assume, would need something similar to Sugden A21a or BD30. Both are costly. Did you consider any tube DIY amps for this?

Regards,
Dmitry

Tags:

BD15 as a subwoofer.

by GC, Thursday, October 20, 2005, 11:15 (6763 days ago) @ GC

Hi Dmitry

Why didn't you go with Bert's BD30's? To be able to sale it easier in
needed?

I try to stick to the rule of listening before buying and Berts stuff is not widespread in the UK:-( .
At the time there were no reviews of the BD30's out there from others that had tried it but since then some great reviews have appeared.
The Sugden has a firm following in the secondhand market in the UK and given that I was getting through amps at quite a pace this did influence me. Luckily it fits the bill perfectly.

My speakers are similar to yours. Same DX-4 in back loaded horn (Passion)