Fostex Horn Tweeters (BD-Design)

by one_speed @, Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 23:56 (6611 days ago)

I have visited this site many times and always enjoy what it has to offer.

I have a question regarding the Fostex super tweeters. I'll be using them from about 10K or on up, along with a full ranger running open baffle. I'm looking into the T90a, T925a and T900a. The 900a would be a bit of a stretch, but I could swing it if it makes sense. I'd like a tweeter that will offer good balance and smoothness in a very detailed presentation.

Which of the above is the best bet? And, is there a substantial difference between the T925a and the T900a?

Thank you in advance!

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by hatfield @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 17:04 (6610 days ago) @ one_speed

Fostex has a new super tweeter that is available that may be worth considering. I've been going back and forth on picking up a pair for my horns.

Here's a link:
Fostex T90A-EX

It looks to have good potential.

Best~
Mike

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by one_speed @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 17:37 (6610 days ago) @ hatfield

That one is interesting, but have to admit I don't love the curve on it. Looks good from about 5k to 20k, then what happens? It seems to fall apart.

Sometimes I hate curves though, as they are often just a small part of the story. I wish someone with good ears would just sit down with all of these and post their impressions, as there is really no info out there on any of these beyond pricing and the occasional picture.

Do you or anyone have thoughts on how this would compare to the others? The curves for the T925 and the T900 look much smoother. But, I wonder if the Magnesium diaphram would be ligher and quicker than the others. Plus, how much info is beyond 20K?

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by hatfield @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 20:48 (6610 days ago) @ one_speed

Sometimes I hate curves though, as they are often just a small part of the
story. I wish someone with good ears would just sit down with all of these
and post their impressions,

I'm with you, I would live to sit down and listen to all of them side-by-side. Unfortunately, I only have experience with the T90A, which did the job, but was not the end-all in smoothness. I agree w/ you assesment of the curves, but like you said, it's often just a small part of the story. The proof is in it's integration with the rest of the system... curves be damned :wink:

how much info is beyond 20K?

There's actually quite a bit of info above 20kHz that is not directly audible, but has influence on how the audible range is reproduced and percevied by the end user.

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by one_speed @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 20:58 (6610 days ago) @ hatfield

I'm with you, I would live to sit down and listen to all of them
side-by-side. Unfortunately, I only have experience with the T90A, which
did the job, but was not the end-all in smoothness.

That's what I thought I would hear about the T90A. A friend had some vintage JBL horn tweeters that were really sweet, but not sure how high they went. He wasn't concerned about detail, just overall presentation, which is very valid.

There's actually quite a bit of info above 20kHz that is not directly
audible, but has influence on how the audible range is reproduced and
percevied by the end user.

Interesting, thanks for that. I think I'll end up with the T925A, as the larger magnet will hopefully get me where I'd like to be without spending for the T900A or the T90 special edition. Now if I had endless $$ to work with...

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by Bert @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 20:26 (6610 days ago) @ one_speed

Hi,

Which of the above is the best bet? And, is there a substantial difference
between the T925a and the T900a?

The 900A is the "sweeter" sounding tweeter without loosing detail and such but the 925A is more efficient in the range where you are going to use it.

BTW, which full-ranger do you want to "lift"? Why not using the FT17H, this is a very nice sounding tweeter, just to check if you do need a tweeter...?

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Fostex Horn Tweeters

by one_speed @, Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 20:36 (6610 days ago) @ Bert

The 900A is the "sweeter" sounding tweeter without loosing detail and such
but the 925A is more efficient in the range where you are going to use it.

Thank you for this. It's been really tough to get this information and understand the differences. This makes it easy.

BTW, which full-ranger do you want to "lift"? Why not using the FT17H,
this is a very nice sounding tweeter, just to check if you do need a
tweeter...?

Right now, I would use it on the 168E Sigma. I'm waiting a pair of the Veravox 7x to try out and I know they roll off around 10 khz. I know I really miss the high-end on both these drivers compared to other things. I heard a pair of DX-55s that had some nice upper end air, almost too strong though.

Trying out the FT17H isn't a bad idea, but I've been playing around with some older horn tweets to get the idea. I've heard the 925 is pretty amazing, just trying to find out at what point I'll get the detail and smoothness I'm after.

Thanks for taking the time Bert. Cheers!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread