TAD TL-1101H (BD-Design)

by robmatthew @, Sunday, June 11, 2006, 15:17 (6535 days ago)

Do you think this driver would work well as the bass driver in the bass-modified 150? I hav a pair and its specs look good for horn loading (I think).
Thanks,
Bob Figlio

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by Bert @, Sunday, June 11, 2006, 17:10 (6535 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

Do you think this driver would work well as the bass driver in the bass-modified 150? I hav a pair and its specs look good for horn loading (I think).

Can you give me the specifications of the driver (Qes, Mms and FS as most important ones to know).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by robmatthew @, Monday, June 12, 2006, 02:26 (6535 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
Here is a link with all the specs:
http://www.pioneer.nl/nl/product_print.jsp?product_id=1471

Thanks,
Bob

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by Bert @, Monday, June 12, 2006, 10:04 (6534 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

http://www.pioneer.nl/nl/product_print.jsp?product_id=1471

This is a 10" driver! I do not think it will work with the modified 150 but it could be done with a standard 150 which has a smaller throat to achieve the desired results. I am not sure though, experiments have to be done with the size of the throat in combination with the bass enclosure.

For mid-bass only this should not be a major problem though.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by robmatthew @, Monday, June 12, 2006, 20:26 (6534 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks, Bert,
I agree, but I only want it to go down to about 50 Hz.I'll probably do the cut and try method.

I use a Velodyne HGS 18 II rolled off at 48 dB/octave at 40 Hz for the really low end.

So the issue then is, do I use an ORIS 200 or 250 for the upper end. I still want to use either my EX4's or "AER" MD3's on the top.
Thanks,
Bob

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by Bert @, Monday, June 12, 2006, 20:53 (6534 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

I agree, but I only want it to go down to about 50 Hz.I'll probably do the cut and try method.

That's is mostly the best way to succeed. Don't cut the horn too soon trying to create a bigger throat, do all the experiments with the enclosure behind the driver first. Making the troath larger will decrease the sensitivity (or "boost") in the lower midrange.

So the issue then is, do I use an ORIS 200 or 250 for the upper end. I still want to use either my EX4's or "AER" MD3's on the top.

With the 150 on the bass I would go for the 250. The 150's give good body and fundament to the 250's with the advantage to have a more free sounding mid-high range. The 250's also look more like the 150's but then schrinked..

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, June 14, 2006, 22:59 (6532 days ago) @ Bert

How does the 150 horn on the woofer work? Does it act like a fractional wavelength horn or does it simply allow a better integration at the upper frequency range with the mid-range horn or both or something else?

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by Bert @, Thursday, June 15, 2006, 00:16 (6532 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

How does the 150 horn on the woofer work? Does it act like a fractional wavelength horn or does it simply allow a better integration at the upper frequency range with the mid-range horn or both or something else?

It helps a lot to integrate and it is boosting the lower midrange (increased sensitivity). The driver's parameters and the size of the throat dictate the crossover frequency to be used. You'll need to create a linear lift up to that frequency which helps to EQ the rise more easy and also creates a steeper roll-off above the crossover frequency (mass roll-of).

You'll need some measuring tools which will save a lot of time though...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

TAD TL-1101H

by robmatthew @, Thursday, June 15, 2006, 00:25 (6532 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bob,

How does the 150 horn on the woofer work? Does it act like a fractional

wavelength horn or does it simply allow a better integration at the upper
frequency range with the mid-range horn or both or something else?

It helps a lot to integrate and it is boosting the lower midrange
(increased sensitivity). The driver's parameters and the size of the
throat dictate the crossover frequency to be used. You'll need to create a
linear lift up to that frequency which helps to EQ the rise more easy and
also creates a steeper roll-off above the crossover frequency (mass
roll-of).

You'll need some measuring tools which will save a lot of time though...

Ciao,

Bert

Thanks, Bert,
I have a full range spectrum analyzer and have spent a lot of time measuring and developing systems. It keeps you honest and, as you say, does save a lot of time.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread