Quantum like - FE 166 vs 206 ?? (BD-Design)

by GC, Thursday, June 15, 2006, 20:45 (6531 days ago)

Hi all,
I normally use a 2 way system with 15" bass and 1" compression driver X-over using line level crossover, but not totally satisfied. Recently I swapped the compression driver for a fostex FE103 I had lying around, in an open baffle arrangement. This works better I think, but since I use a 2A3 SET, it could do with a little more efficiency.

After seeing the Quasar here, I'd like to try a more efficient Fostex driver. Looking at the response curves, the FE166 seems an ideal candidate, much flater response than the 206. As anyone here tested both and could give me a quick opinion on which one they felt was the best? I am a little worried that the upward curve of the 206 would make it unbalanced...

Right now I am crossing over at 600Hz, but I will get a cheap electronic crossover this saturday to experiment with crossing at 200Hz.

Thanks for your help, btw this is my first post here,
Cheers,

Tags:

Quantum like - FE 166 vs 206 ??

by Bert @, Sunday, June 18, 2006, 09:20 (6529 days ago) @ GC

Hi Stef,

After seeing the Quasar here, I'd like to try a more efficient Fostex driver. Looking at the response curves, the FE166 seems an ideal candidate, much flater response than the 206. As anyone here tested both and could give me a quick opinion on which one they felt was the best? I am a little worried that the upward curve of the 206 would make it unbalanced...

The rising curve is only on-axis. If you would listen to the FE206E without any correction at 10 degrees off-axis then the response is even...

The FE166 is a good driver to be used in your configuration though, probably a better match with your bass system.

I do not know how wide the open baffle is you are using but the wider it is the deeper you can set the crossover frequency.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread