Tweeter for Singular/Fostex 206E? (BD-Design)

by Alexander, Saturday, June 24, 2006, 11:21 (6522 days ago)
edited by Alexander, Saturday, June 24, 2006, 13:17

Hi Bert,

Last year I build the Singular cabinets with the Fostex 206E drivers, which I posted on your forum. This weekend I compared them with the sound of a 3 way system. I was rather taken aback by the broader sound stage and higher clarity.

My question is, is a broader soundstage connected to a higher clarity?

If so, I would like to tweek my Singulars with a pair of (super)tweeters. Elsewhere on the forum someone used a set of fostex ft17h. If I would ad those, what kind of filter or cross-over would you recommend?

Regards,

Alexander

Tags:

Tweeter for Singular/Fostex 206E?

by Bert @, Monday, June 26, 2006, 09:47 (6520 days ago) @ Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Soundstage improves with more high frequency energy and reflections in the room. The FT17H's will do a good job on top of the Fostex drivers...

If so, I would like to tweek my Singulars with a pair of (super)tweeters. Elsewhere on the forum someone used a set of fostex ft17h. If I would ad those, what kind of filter or cross-over would you recommend?

I would start to cross with 6dB at 8-12kHz using a good quality capacitor in series with the tweeter starting from 680nF up to 2,2uF until it works well for your situation.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Position of Tweeter in Singular

by Alexander, Monday, June 26, 2006, 16:42 (6520 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanx for your reaction.

Soundstage improves with more high frequency energy and reflections in the
room. The FT17H's will do a good job on top of the Fostex drivers...

A question about the location of the tweeter on the cabinet. Since it's about reflections in the room, is placing the tweeter directly underneath the full range driver the best solution? I have seen a design of another full range cabinet that placed the tweeter at the backside. Is maybe putting it in the topside of the singular an option, mounting it in a 90 degree angle with the frontside driver? Or even at the side?

Has anyone else experience with this?

Regards,

Alexander

Tags:

Position of Tweeter in Singular

by Bert @, Monday, June 26, 2006, 16:46 (6520 days ago) @ Alexander

Hi Alexander,

I would put it on top of the Singular, the crossover frequency is pretty high not making it worthwhile to put them below the driver. Also face to the same direction as the Fostex driver, the sensitivity is too low to get enough energy in the room for making a difference.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread