Battery Management for the Twindac+ (BD-Design)

by dr.cube @, Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 18:53 (6434 days ago)

Hi there,

when I buy the Battery Management System for the Twindac+, is there a battery included? Or do I have to provide my own one?
If I choose to use only battery operation couldn't you remove the AC part of the twindac (thus making it less expensive)?

Can I run the twindac on batteries without using the BMS? Which type of battery should be used then (Standard 12V lead accumulator as used in cars?)

Please explain

Wolfgang

Tags:

Battery Management for the Twindac+

by Bert @, Thursday, September 21, 2006, 09:39 (6434 days ago) @ dr.cube

Hi Wolfgang,

when I buy the Battery Management System for the Twindac+, is there a battery included? Or do I have to provide my own one?

Standard with the BMS there is one battery pack included.

If I choose to use only battery operation couldn't you remove the AC part of the twindac (thus making it less expensive)?

It will be more expensive to make a TwinDAC without AC because then it is not standard. You can switch off the AC though.

Can I run the twindac on batteries without using the BMS? Which type of battery should be used then (Standard 12V lead accumulator as used in cars?)

In principle yes but this means a severe operation inside the DAC. The DAC uses 4 different batteries, each feeding their own part without interfering the other one for clean power allthrough.

I would suggest to stick to the standard situation as this is a proven stable solution with extreme long battery life.

Ciao,

Bert

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by dr.cube @, Thursday, September 21, 2006, 11:43 (6434 days ago) @ Bert

Thanks Bert.

Another question:
While running the DAC on batteries, has the BMS still to be connected to
the mains? Or could you unplug it during operation?
Do you still need some power conditioning (like the Kemp) when using batteries?

Thanks
Wolfgang

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, September 21, 2006, 12:31 (6433 days ago) @ dr.cube

Hi Wolfgang,

While running the DAC on batteries, has the BMS still to be connected to the mains? Or could you unplug it during operation?

The B.M.S. should be connected to the mains. Besides charging it is also checking the batteries and there is a timer running that makes the B.M.S switch to charging or switch to an optional other battery pack and starts charging the first one. This way you can play continous on batteries.

Do you still need some power conditioning (like the Kemp) when using batteries?

I prefer to have the Kemp Cord still in the DAC, mainly for earth reasons I guess. It sounds better. Probably you can connect a thick wire between the earth connection of the DAC and the central earth of the mains so that all little currents/voltages (usually transmitting over the connected interconnects, USB cable, etc.) are directed to earth. The Kemp Cord shield is rather low resistant and since current likes to take the path with the least resistance this seems to help.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread