plastic plugs vs. metal plugs & crowns (BD-Design)

by Don Reid, Rural Northwest Georgia, USA, Saturday, September 23, 2006, 02:37 (6432 days ago)

Hi Bert and All,

I am wondering if I should replace the bronze phase plugs and brass difussion crowns in my Oris 150/AER-MD3s with the new transparent plugs. Any opinions (except those about me) will be very welcome.

Thanks,
Don Reid

Tags:

plastic plugs vs. metal plugs & crowns

by GC, Saturday, September 23, 2006, 08:06 (6432 days ago) @ Don Reid

Hi Bert and All,

I am wondering if I should replace the bronze phase plugs and brass
difussion crowns in my Oris 150/AER-MD3s with the new transparent plugs.
Any opinions (except those about me) will be very welcome.

Thanks,
Don Reid

Hi Don

Well I would say yes. You should change your phase plugs to the new ones.:smile:

I heard them at Berts place in the new AERMD3/ORIS 250 combo. I know that the ORIS 250 differ from the 150's having a different flare rate and is shorter, but I should mean that it's possible to tell the difference as the plug mainly affects the highs.

The new plugs shows a smoother treble were the numerous small peaks seems to be equalized better.
Hence the subjective impression is that the treble emits more phase homogenious.
Example: The "Tzz" sound from close mic' voice recordings appears from the mouth of the singer, rather than 30 cm in front of the mouth. (Wonder if that can be understood by anyone?). The very highs seems more integrated with the body of the source.
To me it seems the new plugs is taming the "wild" highs from the AER's much better than the Crown did it. And the Crown did it well.

The overall impression is that the new plugs leads to a more relaxed sound, and maybe, I'm not quite sure, also a bigger sweet spot window.

Kind regards

GC

Tags:

plastic plugs vs. metal plugs & crowns

by BartB, Sunday, September 24, 2006, 13:46 (6431 days ago) @ Don Reid

Haai Don, replaced them yesterday :smile:.

I had the old one's in my Oris 150/PM4A. With the new one's you have more bells and sparkles. It acts like adding some kind of tweeter. The sweet spot will be much wider. I have some problems with the Lowther PM4's and replaced them with PM6C's. When using the old plugs this was no option. Dull sound and no bells, but the new transparant plugs .....great :clapping: .

Grtz, BartB.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread