Difference Swing - Orphean Ultra DIY (BD-Design)

by dr.cube @, Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 15:22 (6352 days ago)

Hi all,

I'm an owner (and builder) of an Orphean Ultra DIY system. Now, I read about Swing system and have been wondering about the differences.

From what I know, the mid/highs seem to be quite the same (same driver, same horn, same pvc tube) so I guess there caNot be that much of a difference in the mid/highs, or am I mistaken? Isn't it just a different mounting (putting the complete horn in a wooden enclosure instead of putting it on a stand made of particle board)? Just like putting speakers or amps on spikes makes a difference, but not a dramatic one. I guess that horn painting/varnish/sealing variations will make a bigger difference.

I can imagine that the bass will sound quite differently because of the different driver setup (second BD15) and the wooden enclosure, even if the driver,amp and the horn are the same.

Any Comments?
Wolfgang

Tags:

Difference Swing - Orphean Ultra DIY

by Bert @, Tuesday, December 12, 2006, 16:26 (6351 days ago) @ dr.cube

Hi Wolfgang,

I guess that horn painting/varnish/sealing variations will make a bigger difference.

A good finish of the horn and properly assembling makes a big difference in sound. The sound will be similar improved as the looks are improved!

Just to repeat this again for the DIY-ers:

Optimal balance in tone and performance of the Oris horns (all are designed to be finished properly) will be achieved when the horns are properly painted. Properly means:

2-component primer (thick layer), the color and on top of that a thick hard and clear coat layer(s).

Also the capacitors used in them make a big difference....

For the Orphean you can use the standard ones, using a by-pass with PIO (Paper In Oil) or Duelund, or only using capacitors made by Duelund, PIO or a combination of these (for the Duelunds you can even choose Aluminum, Copper or Silver as basic material....).

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, December 14, 2006, 12:58 (6350 days ago) @ Bert

Hey Bert,

I can imagine that the bass will sound quite differently because of the
different driver setup (second BD15) and the wooden enclosure, even if the
driver,amp and the horn are the same.

I waited a day or so whether Wolfgang came back on you to repeat this question, but since he doesn't ... I do :yes:

Thanks,
Peter

PS: You might have commercial reasons not to answer the question ... but in that case you must find a commercial answer ! :clever:

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, December 14, 2006, 13:28 (6350 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hey Bert,

I can imagine that the bass will sound quite differently because of the different driver setup (second BD15) and the wooden enclosure, even if the driver,amp and the horn are the same.

I waited a day or so whether Wolfgang came back on you to repeat this question, but since he doesn't ... I do :yes:

This remark from Wolfgang (was it a question?) was already answered several times before, I guess Wolfgang only posted his thoughts about this and he is rigth, the sound is differently.

I only posted required comments related to his question.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, December 14, 2006, 15:46 (6349 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

right ... well ...

This wasn't it : http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=9775#p9776
and that's the only one getting rather close.
Maybe you have a search string for me ?

You don't want me to read all the posts in all the boards, do you ? Like tha routing in the supermarket ... :agressive:

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread