Computer crash... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Friday, December 15, 2006, 11:06 (6349 days ago)

Hi All,

I am now posting from another PC because the one I usually work with didn't want to wake up this morning... :scared1:

This means that I can't answer any e-mail message until I have THE computer working again... (webmail is a lousy option but I do read new e-mails).

I am suspecting the MB to be partly dead (not even the BIOS is showing!).

I'll have to buy a new one, install the hard- and software, restore my backup files (if needed) and then I can communicate normally again...

Until later.... :sleepy:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Computer crash...

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, December 15, 2006, 12:35 (6348 days ago) @ Bert

I am now posting from another PC because the one I usually work with
didn't want to wake up this morning... :scared1:

Such things are a small disaster.
Only if you don't have background music at reparing the disaster becomes huge !

Peter

Tags:

Computer crash...

by soundcheck @, Germany, Friday, December 15, 2006, 16:05 (6348 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Bert.

Get yourself a RAID system, to prevent this in the future.
I am just looking for one.
From a notebook you can use eSATA ports via e.g. card bus 54 interface.
The new ones are rated 3GB/s.

And go for enterprise quality drives. Western Digital got some nice 500GB
pieces. MTBFs are much better than consumer drives.

Klaus

Tags:

Computer crash...

by Bert @, Friday, December 15, 2006, 20:42 (6348 days ago) @ soundcheck

Hi Klaus,

I am now writing from a PC-Shop waiting for the PC. It has an extra HDD (making three 160Gb drives in total, for RAID...).

I did not loose any data, the MD just died... amd the new MB didn't work (problem with that was the new memory!!!!)

Just found that out. Besides the MB I also needed new memory (the old ones didn't fit...) and a new video card.

O well, hopefully I will have a working computer this evening, copy all data to an external HDD en configure RAID and a new Windows install...

Fun! :evil:

Bert

--

Tags:

Computer crash...

by Bert @, Sunday, December 17, 2006, 17:56 (6346 days ago) @ Bert

The PC is working again (only limited installed because it is not running 100% yet!).

This was the worst scenario I have experienced in rebuilding a PC! :shout:

Bougth a new MB with new memory, new video card and an extra HDD (for RAID 0+1).

Replacing the MB, powering the PC and still dead....

Back to the shop where they tried everything I did at home to find the error, after a few hours it turned out that the memory was causing the problem...

Back home, new memory and yes, the PC started. Not fully configured yet because I needed to backup the old HDD's first...

Next day, configuring the hardware (RAID) which worked out well for the first pair of HDD's and installed the MD drivers, Windows....

This takes some time and after the first startup a new error showed, my on-board LAN port was not working.... so no internet connection was possible for a normal install.

Downloaded (other PC) the latest drivers for the MB and installed those (even flashing the BIOS) and still no LAN.... :evil:

I didn't want to go to the shop again to replace the MB and bougth a new network card. Not too expensive and I did have a few not used PCI slots. Within 10 minutes I had a working Internet connection... :heat:

Okay, that worked and I could finish and update Windows install.

Time to install the rest of the hardware... a new error occured! The new HDD was not showing anymore (the one I wanted to use to store install data and as backup drive.....)!!!!

Today I have tried everything to get this one to work properly and even tried to format this under MSDOS. After 100% formatting it still failed, the drive seems to have some problems in the boot sector....

I will need to replace this drive tomorrow (when the shops are open) and see if I can have a working one so that I can finish my other software installations...

The only thing I can do properly now is going on the Internet and using E-mail...

I can't do any administration, no printing, no TV, basically nothing until I am able to organise the PC the way I want it to be (new drive needed!).

Computers.... :tomatos:

--

Tags:

Computer crash...

by GC, Sunday, December 17, 2006, 18:10 (6346 days ago) @ Bert

Oh boy.....

:eek: :wacko: :heat:

GC

Tags:

Computer crash...

by Bert @, Wednesday, December 20, 2006, 10:13 (6344 days ago) @ Bert

Hi All,
The MB was not capable to do the things I wanted it to do, the shop gave me the wrong board.. :tomatos:

I gave them the PC and let them replace the board for a more advanced one, capable to do what I requested (turned out to be RAID5). :rules:

It took them three hours (I did help....) and now it is running very well. :grin:

Now I can work properly again...

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread