Sound differences Orphean/Oris150? (BD-Design)

by alanbrain, Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 15:45 (6340 days ago)

Hi all,

Im new to this forum. Last week I have been reading a lot of the showroom descriptions and the bd web page. And I was wondering what are the sonic differences between the Oris 150 with AER drivers and the Orphean with the BMS 4592ND?
Sounstage, imaging, transparency, low level information, inmediacy, tonal balance, coloration.
What of the two has the more non fatiguing sound?
Thanks
Alan Brain

Tags:

Sound differences Orphean/Oris150?

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 09, 2007, 12:17 (6327 days ago) @ alanbrain

Hi Alan,

Welcome!

Many thing were already written in this forum (do a search for Orphean). The topic linked below does explain most related to your questions though.

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=11877

What of the two has the more non fatiguing sound?

I think that the Orphean is less fatiguing but it also depends on the source. The more information heard the better the real character of the source is showing...

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

by alanbrain, Thursday, December 28, 2006, 04:05 (6340 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your answer.
I had already read that post before. According to that, The Orphean is more cleaner sounding with a better low level information retrieval. And the Oris is more fuzzy romantic.
I can understand that, I assume also that the these are slight differences because the overall performance must be almost very alike with the 2 speakers. But I would like to know what are the subtle/ major if any differences between the sound the 2 drivers deliver through the horn, the BMS and the AER.
I have made a search under Orphean but there isnt a lot of post on this issue. Indeed there are very very few.
Why do you think the orphean is less fatiguing?
Thanks for your time
Alan

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, December 28, 2006, 10:34 (6339 days ago) @ alanbrain

I had already read that post before. According to that, The Orphean is
more cleaner sounding with a better low level information retrieval. And
the Oris is more fuzzy romantic.
I can understand that, I assume also that the these are slight differences
because the overall performance must be almost very alike with the 2
speakers. But I would like to know what are the subtle/ major if any
differences between the sound the 2 drivers deliver through the horn, the
BMS and the AER.

Hi Alan,

Please allow me to add 2c;
(and Bert, correct me where you do not agree)

IMO judging music through equipment is -in all cases- too much subjective to ... judge. :no:
I myself advocate judging the "reality" elements, and I might be the only one doing it like that. Judging elements comes down to stupid theory, but so far it seems to work.
Note though, that this can only start to work after taking some "unreality" hurdles ...

Am I clear ? of course not.:wacko:

I'll try to come to the point first;
The Orphean was created to produce a more real sound. Nothing more or less than a more near to 100% representation of wat it's fed with. This means : the worse the material it's fed with, the worse it will sound.
I hear you say "yeah, logic", but it is not all that simple. I mean, why can cables sound significantly better ? right, because they (can) act as a filter. A filter for high frequencies, eliminating present distortions ... making the sound more dull at the same time. Nett, however, you may go for the filtered sound.

Now, what Bert was trying to make clear, is that the Orphean has a better representation of reality, which does not mean that it will be better for you. It should be though, when the "source path" is allright.
When the source is okay, the Orphean will reward you by letting that hear easily. It will express an enormous natural sound, say, like real life is.
And real life is not fatiguing ...

Strangely enough (or not) the proper source can also imply for the kind of opposite : when the source is allright but the further route to the speakers is not, a lot of things go wrong. Think of dynamics expressed by the source which can't be dealt with, therewith creating audible distortion, which a set of very decent speakers will make audible; less decent speakers will filter that distortion again and you may be satisfied with it ...
Or, the source itself is wrong, just creating a not so much real life sound which can be expressed by all kind of strangenesses (like superfluous bass, less hall than as how it should be, unrecognized cymbals, hissing voices). Very decent speakers will express that too, but judging good / no good becomes rather impossible, or you must judge the least disturbing as the best (which is very different from choosing the most real life sounding !).

In the end it all comes to "knowing" how things can be. You e.g. could listen at Bert's place for getting the reference, and then you will *know* how the Orphean is able to express reality. Just listen to cymbals and brushes and the like, and just get the hunch of "yeah, this must be really her singing there" (without ever meeting "her" in real life).
Copying that at home is then a matter of a good DAC and a good player (which both can be obtained from Bert theoretically).

Peter

Tags:

by alanbrain, Thursday, December 28, 2006, 14:26 (6339 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the answer. I agree 100% with you. And I would like to go the real way. It is to say, through the Orpheans. Im renewing all my system so I have no problem taking the time to find the right match for the Orpheans in the chain.
Real sound is not fatiguing, thats true. And if the Orphean has a better representation of reality, thats my cup of tea. I know that some recordings will not sound as good as in a "filtered" set up, but I can live with that.

One of the things that push my quest is to naturally reproduce the human voice. I love to hear voices that make me think maybe I performed an act of magic and this singer is playing in my living room.

Obviously, I will have to go and take a listen at Berts Place.
In the next months I have to travel to Congo for job issues. I think I can make a stop in Amsterdam and head to Berts place.
Thanks so far.

Alan Brain

Tags:

by Bert @, Sunday, December 31, 2006, 00:53 (6337 days ago) @ alanbrain

Hi Alan,

Obviously, I will have to go and take a listen at Berts Place.

You're very much welcome!

In the next months I have to travel to Congo for job issues. I think I can make a stop in Amsterdam and head to Berts place.

That's the way to do it! Take at least 6 hours of free time outside the Schiphol Airport though, more is even better. I can find you a nice place to sleep and traveling through the Netherlands usually is okay...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by Cappy @, Saturday, January 06, 2007, 09:01 (6331 days ago) @ Bert

Would I be able to run my 1.8 watt 45 Amps on the Orphean as I can on the Oris/AERs? I do like them a lot.

Certainly the sensitivity is very high, but how about the impedance curve? Or the crossover sucking up power?

I am thinking in my head about Avantgarde Trios, which on paper should work with a few watts but in practice require 20+. I understand that the Trios run the midrange and high range drivers in parallel which the Orpheans don't do, and the impedance curve looks like the Alps, but hopefully you get the idea of my question...

Tags:

by Bert @, Saturday, January 06, 2007, 10:40 (6330 days ago) @ Cappy

Hi Cappy,

Would I be able to run my 1.8 watt 45 Amps on the Orphean as I can on the Oris/AERs? I do like them a lot.

The Orphean play's about 5dB louder than the AER/Oris (at the same volume setting). The impedance is not flat but varies between 4-20 ohms. I can play pretty loud with my 6 Watts, so with 1.8 Watt you can play about 6dB less loud than I can.

More power is always welcome though (like having more horsepower in your car giving more headroom).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by Cappy @, Saturday, January 06, 2007, 19:10 (6330 days ago) @ Bert

Good, it sounds like they will work.

I understand what you mean about headroom. I tried an 80 watt OTL on the Oris once. Still, the 45s do things I like a lot.

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread