Amp cabinets and again Amps (Off Topic)

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:09 (6282 days ago)
edited by unknown, Friday, February 16, 2007, 12:46

Hi all,

Reference : http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=12662&page=0&category=0&order=last_a...

Today I was told that the Hypex group is very enthusiast for building a state of the art amp, but, that to their feelings, all urges just the same for a better cabinet (mono). And now they ask me for ideas about it.

I don't know the minimal sizes, but I think I read somewhere that currently 20x10x?cm is used.

Does anyone have ideas about a cabinet that WOWs ?

Btw, small looks strange, but also think of the possibility to put the amp near or in the speaker (depening on how you get away with the preamp (cabling) etc.

Thanks !
Peter

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by GC, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:29 (6282 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi all,

Reference :
http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=12662&page=0&category=0&order=last_a...

Today I was told that the Hypex group is very enthusiast for building a
state of the art amp, but, that to their feelings, all urges just the same
for a better cabinet (mono). And now they ask me for ideas about it.

I don't know the minimal sizes, but I think I read somewhere that
currently 20x10x?cm is used.

Does anyone have ideas about a cabinet that WOWs ?

Btw, small looks strange, but also think of the possibility to put the amp
near or in the speaker (depening on how you get away with the preamp
(cabling) etc.

Thanks !
Peter

Hi Peter

Is it nessecary to solve that problem before a sound test could be carried out?

I mean for a preliminary Beta-version of the Hype-Hypex, a Monacor box would do.

GC

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 12:34 (6282 days ago) @ GC

GC, this is not how they want to approach it. And I think we should repect that.
Besides that, now there's our chance.

It is unrelated to the soundQ (but careful here, because usually things like a cabinet influence sound indeed) because good or not good, they just do what we like, if it's an acceptable option for them as well.

Peter

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by leifchristensen @, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 13:11 (6282 days ago) @ PeterSt.

what about these?
http://www.hexateq-av.com/standard_enclosures.html

best
Leif

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 13:17 (6282 days ago) @ leifchristensen

Hi Leif,

That is a good one! The supplier also sells Hypex and has some experience with that... :grin:

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by leifchristensen @, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 13:25 (6282 days ago) @ Bert

happy 2 b of service!:grin:

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by GC, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 13:32 (6282 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Leif,

That is a good one! The supplier also sells Hypex and has some experience
with that... :grin:

Ciao,

Bert

I agree. It is a nice cab. Price neither that scary.

GC

Tags:

Amp cabinets

by Bert @, Wednesday, February 14, 2007, 13:14 (6282 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

It is unrelated to the soundQ (but careful here, because usually things
like a cabinet influence sound indeed) because good or not good, they just
do what we like, if it's an acceptable option for them as well.

I have to say that I agree with GC, if the amp sounds okay then it is the time to take the next step and compare those steps with the first good sounding configuration.

If the amp sounds like **** then why bother designing/finding an enclosure for them?

First you'll need to know how the amp sounds anyhow and from there using specific materials to tune it tonally. Even the placement/direction of the boards will make a difference!

A nice wooden enclosure comes to my mind but I do not know how sensitive the amp is to radiation from outside or how much it is radiating itself affecting other system components... if that is a problem than a non magnetical metal housing would be best.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 06:23 (6281 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 07:39

While some of us are waiting for the ultimate D-sound, appetizers can be sucked out of this page.
The links take you to one after another reviewer who got their religion and beleives shaken quite a bit.

I know, just reviews, but always better to read than seeing the 9 o'clock news.

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/amplifiers-1k-to-3k.php

If you really intend to look at the 10 - 11 and 12 o'clock news also, you might as well read this:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/audio/classdtutorial.pdf

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/digital_classD_amplifier...

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/SwitchingAmplifierBasics...

GC

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by unknown, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 10:57 (6281 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC / Peter

Have been watching your story on the digital amps for a little while and am a bit perplexed.

I have for some time been of the impression that SE amps of 8 watts and below are ultimately too wimpy for many types of music, and indeed a couple of years ago changed from an Audio note Meishu to an EAR 861 amplifier

http://www.ear-usa.com/861reviews.htm

Now this was a jump up to 35wpc and proved every bit as powerful as I needed.

But you guys have speakers even more sensitive than my Hedlund /BD15 combination, and here you are looking at amps of 700 watts. :shame:
If you are having a special amp built then why didn't you settle for something less powerful and put the money into better amp components such as the power supplies?:bey:

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 11:24 (6281 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Chris

But you guys have speakers even more sensitive than my Hedlund /BD15
combination, and here you are looking at amps of 700 watts. :shame:
If you are having a special amp built then why didn't you settle for
something less powerful and put the money into better amp components such
as the power supplies?:bey:

It is not at all about "power". Well you need "enough" power, yes. But enough is enough.
In my case with the SWINGs 112/db/w, I live comfortably with my 5-8 watts from my SETs. That more powerfull tube//SS amps would tighten something up in the bass, is very likely.
CoGCceting my 400 W Classe is proving oposit. The bass is here more "slubbish" than myt SETs.

The topic here is about D-amps for audio apllications, and they come AFAIK not less than a 100 W....yes some even up to 700 W.

I tried only one of the type. The NF ref9. And eventhough I too late found out that it dosn't go together with active speakers, I had them playing.
But even this twiggy test turned out for the benefit of the D-amp over my SETs.
I have decribed elsewhere in the last threads about my opinion, and that's not so far away from all the euphoric reviwers experienses.

The "statement" amp Hypex will bring us, I don't even know how powerful is? Maybe B&P knows?

If the amp of all times will be of 17 Gwatts dosn't matter to me. :wink:

GC

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 11:49 (6281 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Chris,

Although it will be hard to follow (over the various threads in here), our objectives are a bit different.

Do note that your amp will be one of the best around (just because you selected it).

For me it is about theories;
Then, first theory here not fitting mine, would be the push-pull principle. Too much chance the lot goes out of bias, if not sooner, then later.
Second theory which doesn't suit me, is the fact (!) that at one day you will find your tubes worn out, and that day most probably is months after it really happened. Btw, the same thing with the bias stuff.

Next is the "problem" of not keeping tubes hot all the time, this coming forth from the above. This, while I want to be sure that everyting is up and running in optimal state once I slide in some music.

Where the latter can be "solved" by means of a theoretical good operating Class A SS, it still requires many KWh per day. As I told elsewhere, I consume annually 12,000 of them, and for the underlaying price I could buy some nice stuff.

In the very end, the theory of operations of a class D might be even better than all else what is around. But, class D has many pitfalls, as you might have read in the articles GC provided. So it *can* be good, but the actual implementation determines complete failure or "good", with my hope on "te best".

In the end a decent class D design follows my personal nature of letting through the "data" 1:1 which is (in general) difficult for a conventional design.

In the end it is not about me, but about all of us with the potency of the very good speakers together with the very good player and the very good DAC.
Please note that my 1:1 approach, so far, produces the best sound indeed. For that matter, anyone saying that an amp passing through a square wave near 100% (100% is impossible), does not tell anything about sound ... is IMO just wrong. It should. When not, one had forgotten to look at the input square wave at 20,000 Hz or whatever else it is that detoriates the square to a sine at that particular situation, including saturation of the transformer and everything else I am not knowledgeable in. :no:
I can measure output though.

But you guys have speakers even more sensitive than my Hedlund /BD15
combination, and here you are looking at amps of 700 watts. :shame:

"We" do not seek 700Watts at all, but these power ratings are unavoidable for a decent design around it. Note that I made this a subject explicitly, and there's still no way the 180W version can be as good (which is an objective expression by the Hypex people IMO, because at first they tried to talk me into that one, just because they had more available of it).
I even asked for turning the 700W into 100W, therewith multiplying the quality by 7. :wacko:

Anyway, as it turns out, thanks to the ever lasting benefits of Motorcickle GC, we now have another thread about amps.

Peter

PS: Bert, spend some money on a moderator !! :cool:

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 12:08 (6281 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 12:17

Peter

Anyway, as it turns out, thanks to the ever lasting benefits of
Motorcickle GC, we now have another thread about amps.

I'm allways infecting the threads with my Bulsjit, because I think a lot of serious guys here reading this "way off topic" forum, may benefit from either nowadays D-amps or future ones to come.

And now I found out you're right about one thing: I'm blabbing about money non-stop, I really think the Damping manufactorers owe me a box of cigars, for all my advertising of those blody amps. :grin:

PS: Bert, spend some money on a moderator !! :cool:

He has no :pleasantry: U know.

GC

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by unknown, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 12:49 (6281 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi guys

Yes I read about all the reasons for wanting this type of amp in your previous posts and in the final reckoning its the sound that matters. I hope it works out:grin:

"We" do not seek 700Watts at all, but these power ratings are unavoidable for a decent design around it. Note that I made this a subject explicitly, and there's still no way the 180W version can be as good (which is an objective expression by the Hypex people IMO, because at first they tried to talk me into that one, just because they had more available of it).
I even asked for turning the 700W into 100W, therewith multiplying the quality by 7.

This is the explanation I was seeking - looks like you asked the same question as me.:friends:

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 13:52 (6281 days ago) @ unknown

Of course Chris !
180W is already overdone.

I even suggested that 700W wouldn't be properly "tunable" (one click of the TVC and the windows go out (XP, Vista, all :grin:)), without a real response to that. Anyway, there's where I suggested to pump down the volume, and get more quality instead.

Maybe it's the time now that Bert is going to look into his guarantees about tweeter core meltdowns and the like ?

Peter

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 15:01 (6281 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 15:12

Of course Chris !
180W is already overdone.

I even suggested that 700W wouldn't be properly "tunable" (one click of
the TVC and the windows go out (XP, Vista, all :grin:)), without a real
response to that. Anyway, there's where I suggested to pump down the
volume, and get more quality instead.

Maybe it's the time now that Bert is going to look into his guarantees
about tweeter core meltdowns and the like ?

Peter

Just lead the speaker signal through an electrical radiator. The biuld in thermostat will serve as a peak-limiter. Problem solved :idea:.... in the winter time, I mean. Never heard that heat radiators were influencing quality.
Could also keep the hot-tap water warm...but then you have to play all the time when having a shower. :naughty:

GC

Tags:

Kill time while waiting

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 15:21 (6281 days ago) @ GC

There really is no sense in this man. Couldn't he be banned ?
:biglol:

Your main insanity I derive from putting soundwaves from a speaker cable into an electrical system. Most probably I could do that with turbines (estimate : 170dB efficiency), but they are spacey.
No, you should get the electrical signal from the input of the amp (peaks only, plus only) and put that directly into the tap water.

That will save us al lot of cursing, bad advises, rubbish and the like. And Bert his money of course.
:evil:
This is how playing turns into laying into not paying. You better start pr..
Oh well.

Tags:

Can a 1:1 remark make a thread to me?

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 15:43 (6281 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 21:45

he he..Peter.

:blrrr:

:lol:

By a closer thought I might not even be that insane, majority would doubt for sure though.
A D-amp is not emitting heat because of it ****ing efficiency, even I found out. Now try to think following your throughput theory 1:1. If you accept, and you have to, your Bose speakers neither slips e-watts to preassure watts through in ratio 1:1. You're loosing energy, heat and theory. (I better start praying. He will kill me for saying that).
Be a little more global thinking and get your brain galvanicaly seperated 1:1 from your CPU in your PC towers.
Hypex will throw 700 watts directly in our brass horns without giving us a change to feel comfortably warm.
I'll at least give the phenomenal idea using the radiator a try. It's just a normal pull-down resistor. Then if it even improves sound I will look up for a patent. The money-fobia, U know. :wink: :grazy:

If this forum didn't already spoil your relations to Hypex and they don't pick up the phone anymore because of the show-number thing, I will kindly ask you/them to concern a little about the gain through such an amp.
Even I use a TVC, my DAC 2V RMS output will destroy Belgrade again, like all we NATO heroes once did years ago.
But I will God D*** not exchange my SWINGS for a pair of Apogee's to utilize those watts.

nnah...time to start a new "Insane Ideas" topic.....there you will find my problems exposed installing your wonderful player :lol:

Hey..btw, Peter. You once dropped a pic of a mini table station controling a labtop wireless. What excactly was it for a device?
Or was it just a photo of one of your numerous Tamagotchi's you always carry around.

[image]

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 09:22 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hey..btw, Peter. You once dropped a pic of a mini table station controling
a labtop wireless. What excactly was it for a device?
Or was it just a photo of one of your numerous Tamagotchi's you always
carry around.

[img]images/uploaded/image35.gif[/img]

Hi GC,

This is a Philips Pronto TSU9600.
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=1303

Peter

Tags:

by Bert @, Friday, February 16, 2007, 09:32 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

This is a Philips Pronto TSU9600.
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=1303

That will then be around 2.000 Euro! Wouldn't a PDA connected to a wireless network be something more affordeable for us poor guys?

For both devices there has to be done some programming to make it work with GC and at least people can use their PDA for other things too... (navigation, games, agenda, etc...).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:05 (6280 days ago) @ Bert

Hey Bert,

That will then be around 2.000 Euro! Wouldn't a PDA connected to a
wireless network be something more affordeable for us poor guys?

It's 1.300 euro I think, but indeed, outragiously expensive.

You can do many things with a PDA, but not all. "All" means : everything you'd want when you are also dealing with hometheatre stuff.

Also note that, like professional comparible equipment e.g. Scanner Terminals, things are 3 times or so more expensive, just to get it decent.
A Scanner Terminal is nearly the same as a PDA (it's just a WinCE device), with a, say, 200 euro scanner in it, and the terminal costs 2,400 euro.
I have a PDA as well. It worked for two months ...

For both devices there has to be done some programming to make it work
with GC and at least people can use their PDA for other things too...
(navigation, games, agenda, etc...).

A.o. I bought this device to allow "IP programming" GC in a later version. This is just one means of controlling software from a distance.
For normal operation I would run a PDA in RDP mode to whatever good Audio PC (so don't buy Vista Home versions without RDP facility !! (not that I know of versions without it, but with XP Home it's not there)).
Note that I did not work on a 320x240 size screen yet, hence right now you probably aren't able to select tracks (easily). But this too, for some later days.

Peter

PS: As a gadget, it would be very easy (to create) to scan a CD's barcode, that starting up the music. You could also think of printing a booklet from the CD's with pictures and barcodes (even per song), and that that would be the means of starting CD's / tracks.

PPS: Mr. Moderator : how about the Split function ?
[smallprint]What a mess it is in here :yes: [/smallprint]

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 09:39 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Thanks Peter...

Well, not my cup of tea. In my case an over-killer.

I'm investigating a bit on smart-home set ups for my PC-audio future solution.

I like remote controls. So conclusion is in my case: Nice TV-screen between the speakers controlled by the PC and a wireless rat :grin:

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:07 (6280 days ago) @ GC

I like remote controls. So conclusion is in my case: Nice TV-screen
between the speakers controlled by the PC and a wireless rat :grin:

GC, dear, ... most stupid solution. Make that a touchscreen, and you are more close.
:pleasantry:

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:23 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

I like remote controls. So conclusion is in my case: Nice TV-screen
between the speakers controlled by the PC and a wireless rat :grin:

GC, dear, ... most stupid solution. Make that a touchscreen, and you
are more close.
:pleasantry:

nnah.. Dear Peter. I need that TV screen anyhow. Films and a like. Will be so big that the pic almost touches the viewer.

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:26 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Nah.. Dear Peter. I need that TV screen anyhow. Films and a like. Will be
so big that the pic almost touches the viewer.

GC, I have such a TV (1920x1080), in the proper place too, and there's no way I would want that.
FWIW ...

Peter

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:39 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

FWIW ...

Uops! I lost you here. Never happens. What is FWIW?

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:56 (6280 days ago) @ GC

FWIW ...

Uops! I lost you here. Never happens. What is FWIW?

For What It's Worth.

Tags:

Positive experiences with Class D

by Peter K, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 18:33 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi,

I just want to add my 2 cents… I have now used Class D amps for while now on my horn rig, and I am very happy with the results! The amps are Acoustic Reality eAR Enigma (for midrange and up) and Acoustic Reality eAR Two (for bass). These amps are based on IcePower modules. The models (which are both discontinued) use conventional power supplies (not switch-mode). Two my ears these amps do not sound “digital” in any negative sense of the word at all. They are very clear and clean although still natural sounding. Besides the “big one” (the eAR Two amp: 2 x 250 Watt/8 Ohm) has a very powerful and tight bass!

I have not compared these to, for instance, tube amps, but I have had a chance to compare these directly to some other Class D amps, that is, TacT SDA2175 and LcAudio’s ZapPulse version 2.2 SE. The eAR amps were quite a lot better in all respects than the ZapPulse amps. The Tact amp was clearly better than ZapPulse too, although not quite a good as the eAR amps (voices were less natural and the bass was substantially less powerful). Quite a few customers have sold their “big bucks” amps (e.g., ML, Conrad Johnson, Jadis, etc.) in favour of these eAR amps….

I am sure that there are better amps out there, but you definitely get a lot of value for the money.

All the best
Peter

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 18:51 (6280 days ago) @ Peter K

Hi Peter K

Very nice to hear about your learnings.

The Tact and the Zap's I heard, leaving me wondering why people spend their time on developing such stuff.

Time past, and I never concerned about those type of amps anymore, until that day, you know. It was my know-best-whats-best days AMAGEDEON. Period. :thankyou:

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 22:01 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC, my man,

You could be of such great contribution to, in fact, any death;
This forum could be of such valuable information; Weren't it ... :clapping:

Couldn't there be any means of, well, keep you busy ?
There must be *some* way to get the NFs going ?

Bert, lacking of a moderator, couldn't you put a GC-Reply into the trashbin AKA GC black hole ?

The man from Beltrade is absorbing all the women passing my house from a random continent. He was banned from his galaxy to this area with no luck.
I even imagine there is a power drain to his domestics, not even Einstein could have thought of. There's nucleair forces :evil: created by him, his shower and his dual Orph ready for launch deep down in his bathtub pit.
Nothing but disaster can be awaitened from this vicious beast.

Progress of this world is stalled by his high emittence of FM nonsense.
You out there ... can't you see The WOTW is taking over ?
No longer than one day ago another Christensen was hired to doome our women, children and their precious mobile phones, containing 12Mpx photo sensors and preciously designed HighQ GC output.

This man, he does not allow it.

Let us gather before it is too late. Let us vote for this man to be in the middle of the axe of evil. The brain this earth was not designed for. The GC experience. The master of ... well, souls of pure insanity. The child in time bouncing all bullets. The July Morning in the middle of february. The stairway to hell freezing over. The bad moon rising behind the steamy windows. The owner of the lonely Heart;
The unique, yeah, GC experience.

Let him be.

Now let Google swallow that !
:drinks:

Tags:

by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 22:19 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.
edited by GC, Thursday, February 15, 2007, 23:39

:drinks: again my "deer"est :friends: ?

Ok I'll give you a break all patience viewers. (Not you Peter) We shall se each other in the "trash bin" topic. The "bin" that tie us so close together.
:satisfied:

Bert caNot do anything but leaving us a topic by our own where viewers are banned except us of course and except those who bought 500 bucks pass-words.
Bert will then have time to finalise my super-duper-laptop-XP-Vista-HDD-500GB-GC-high-end-player-with-FunnyFace-device-for-my-too-old-dac-to-TVC-to-d-amp-to-e-radiator-to-Swing-bath-tub systems. Pick-up in april u-know.

I shal stay 8th-9th and 10th of April in Veldenbos Hotel, Nunspeet. A place most aliens stays with Rhodium and Plutonium remains in their blood and who were beamed down into this trash-bin world concerned about sound. You're warned now.
Where I originaly came from, we were working with Q-class amps. Amps that does'nt even contain components, but merely were empty boxes coming for 999,- our money. Reason: We were born deaf, but as good aliens we all were, I participateted in a NGO who's aim was to understand what was going on in Holland, Earth.
I'm still not quite sure, and they urge me to conclude back home.

Did Hypex say anything about when they could bring a sample of the new amps? (Or is the question too serious for this topic?) :grazy:

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 04:37 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

Did Hypex say anything about when they could bring a sample of the new
amps? (Or is the question too serious for this topic?) :grazy:

Yes, it shocked me a bit to see such a serious question. Hardly know how to seriously answer that.

They said : "It won't take months of course".
Math tells me that it can be 1 month from day before yesterday when I asked.
That would be March 14.
So April 8-9-10 they are still around (if not forever).

Now mr. Moderator, you see that this thread is full of valuable information ?
A bit hard to get it out though.:bey:

Peter

PS: I must say ... you DIY guys didn't make much from amp cabinets. Me neither btw. :confused:

Tags:

What about a listen to Class D

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 08:13 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi GC,

Did Hypex say anything about when they could bring a sample of the

new

amps? (Or is the question too serious for this topic?) :grazy: [/i]

Yes, it shocked me a bit to see such a serious question. Hardly know how
to seriously answer that.

They said : "It won't take months of course".
Math tells me that it can be 1 month from day before yesterday when I
asked.
That would be March 14.
So April 8-9-10 they are still around (if not forever).

Now mr. Moderator, you see that this thread is full of valuable
information ?
A bit hard to get it out though.:bey:

Peter

Peter, beside the struggle moderating my self before anyone else does it, I have a suggestion to you and Bert:

One month is in my world quite a long time to wait for another opinion of the D-amp sound. :sleepy:
In this forum we read only a few comments from others. But maybe there are none who pocess a D-amp here?
And then we have only the promisses from all the happy reviewers.

So here it comes: You have both Hypex; Kharma and maybe the CIA-amps and Exodus around?
All Hypex modules though.
Should be possible to have a listen before April sun starts to shine?
The NF test were done. But I beleive the next test will result in the same outcome, due to the SWING/NF problematics.

I ask you to do this effort as it will always show an indicator compared to our present references.

Might the new amp be better, then everything is just turning out to be a happy story.

Well?

PS! I will listen to the Kharma MP150's next week in Denmark, but that doesn't help much, as speakers and everything else is also Kharma things. And I am not familiar with their products.

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:24 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

It must be possible to get some Kharma's obviously. But, me myself and I are not much fund of getting things which aren't the best already for theories.
Besides that, they slowly cost a fortune (I'd need four of them).

I leave it up to Bert if he wants to arrange for a few. Besides that, he lives 20 minutes more close to them as I.
When they are there, I obviously want to have a listen as well !

Peter

Tags:

by Bert @, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:33 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi Peter,

I leave it up to Bert if he wants to arrange for a few. Besides that, he
lives 20 minutes more close to them as I.

I will arrange to have several things to compare for the 9th. Make sure that U bring the cD's so that we can decide about what suits best to our needs...

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:46 (6280 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert

I will arrange to have several things to compare for the 9th. Make sure
that U bring the cD's so that we can decide about what suits best to our
needs...

OK then.

Will propably drop a post about my session with the Kharma next week, useless or not.

GC

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 10:37 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

Hi GC,

It must be possible to get some Kharma's obviously. But, me myself and I
are not much fund of getting things which aren't the best already for
theories.
Besides that, they slowly cost a fortune (I'd need four of them).

I leave it up to Bert if he wants to arrange for a few. Besides that, he
lives 20 minutes more close to them as I.
When they are there, I obviously want to have a listen as well !

Peter

Hi Peter

Hopefully Kharma and likes do not charge 7000 EURO just for a trial?

But maybe my unpatience curiuosity is a little too much? I can't do it here, as the brands are not pressent. Were they, the test were done before you would be able post a new Topic.
I have this "becomming older and life is too short for boring hi-fi" thing bothering me.

The encouragement to Bert then, would be to check if a Normal Hypex is better than a LadyDay and a super Hypex would be better than a Normal Hypex.
This is referencing.........inovation.

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 11:04 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

Hopefully Kharma and likes do not charge 7000 EURO just for a trial?

Of course not. It will cost nothing.
But obviously in the end you 'll need the 7000 if you think they are better. Or maybe not you (BD30).

The encouragement to Bert then, would be to check if a Normal Hypex is
better than a LadyDay and a super Hypex would be better than a Normal
Hypex.

If it's up to me there won't be any comparison with "normal" Hypex.
Now please stop wobbling around, because such propositions are senseless. Think of it.
Or do you not want the best ? If so, I can advise you the T-Amp. Bert has one for sale, I'm sure.

Moderator, it's time to ban this alien. Or me.
:dancing:

Tags:

by GC, Friday, February 16, 2007, 11:36 (6280 days ago) @ PeterSt.

The encouragement to Bert then, would be to check if a Normal Hypex is
better than a LadyDay and a super Hypex would be better than a Normal
Hypex.

If it's up to me there won't be any comparison with "normal" Hypex.
Now please stop wobbling around, because such propositions are senseless.
Think of it.
Or do you not want the best ? If so, I can advise you the T-Amp. Bert has
one for sale, I'm sure.

Moderator, it's time to ban this alien. Or me.
:dancing:

Peter, you lost me... my point is just to have your opinion on D-class, not on how this opinion might be generated and the order.
No one of us actually now anything about the sound, and in particular the sound of the 700, as is is simply not existing yet.
It's too early to determine what is best. But not too early to see wether D-class is something to concern about at all.

I would not spent time and money to go to Holland in April if one of you two would drop an opinion on the Hypex stuff. Is there a potential here or not?

I will come to Holland on any other occation. The PC GC-player set up's I can make from here.

GC

Tags:

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, February 16, 2007, 12:39 (6280 days ago) @ GC

Hi GC,

You must have lost yourself. At last !! haha.

I really don't understand why *I* should listen to a degraded version of a version which is superb, if it is not about the money.

If you want to listen to this degraded version I'm afraid you have to arrange for that yourself. There's an internet shop, you spent 90 euro or so, pickup a screwdriver somewhere, and there you go.

If you can't be serious about this, ... your problem. But your problem then will not reflect me. I mean, I will not spend a second listening to something of which is know to be worse. Again, for those "money no object" it should work like this.

Go and ask Bert how EXACTLY things worked out the previous time with the NuForce. I mean, in advance. I spent the time anyway (which was a free afternoon, or not working on the good stuff if you like), and it was a complete waste of time. Not 100% of course, because now we know even better, but still.

Or maybe I don't understand you ?

It's too early to determine what is best. But not too early to see wether
D-class is something to concern about at all.

And this is to be tested with not-the-best stuff ?
Again, not by means of my time, please.

I would not spent time and money to go to Holland in April if one of you
two would drop an opinion on the Hypex stuff. Is there a potential here or
not?

This is not about "potential", AT ALL. But :
This might be difficult for you (anyone for that matter) to understand.
The way Bert and I listen these days, -and this is very different from a year ago, for Bert too I'm sure- does not leave ANY room for not having a real opinion, if that's what you mean by "potential". So far, everything we did together was with definite conclusion. Do note though, that -whatever it was- came forth from "not knowing on your own", i.e. lacking facilities to check things. Example : I use an in fact too long Firewire cable, and the same for USB. Both sound very different, and for me it is without conclusion because both are not right (read : each of them has a clear advantage, but sadly in another area, and each of them has a clear disadvantage as well (same). So I (we) KNOW this, i.e. we recognize this. Now, or Bert brings his laptop with shorter cables, or I buy a PC for it.

Another thing which is even harder to explain, is that the differences in all are so HUGE, that we rather learned to interpret what we hear. Example :

Before : doesn't sound so nature like.
Today : I hear an echo which should not be.

There will be no way we will be without conclusions with whatever comparison. However, what IMO can happen, is that with the further equipment (incl. cables) we have, no differences can be found. But I think this is unlikely.

Addendum :
Say, each other week, I myself find another way of testing;
Last week I found that kranking up the volume to before unheard levels is just another super theoretical means of testing. With GC-Vista I suddenly could do that and was so much surprised it could happen without the room full of bouncing waves. It was an experience I never heard before. Amazing, and another dimension (I told this elsewhere too, excuse me for that).
But now Bert came along, and although I didn't prepare it, I wanted to demonstrate it to him. There were three persons in the room, each of them grabbing their ears, all being definite that I made a mistake and I just played too loud. Btw, one of these persons was me.
After some thinking, it appeared that I was using a before version of GC, and although it is as bitperfect as all biperfect playing can be, the software worked slightly different, and the sound was destroyed. Mind you, at starfighter levels. I say it again : the perception was "too loud", but the level really was the same as the week before, and two of those three persons in the room witnessed it.

For me this new test is easy now; I will measure the SPL with the reference sound (and music) I have, and when a next amp can't produce that, it's worse.

To me, checking / testing these things become more and more objective and driven by theories. I say it once more : having the reference is the most important of all.
Yesterday, after playing a few tracks with GC-Vista, I turned back to GC-XP. You know, that very good player. Now what did my wife say (without knowing the background) ? there's distortion !

Things go so fast ...

Anyway, conclusion : If the Hypex is better in absolute sense than the Laydyday, you will know. If it is not better, you will know just the same and then there is no reason to buy it.
The phenomenon "potential" will not exist. But, as it comes to me, the current standard UcD700 has potential, which is to be turned into reality by the Hypex people.

HTH GC,
Peter

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread