Orphean break-in (BD-Design)

by kurt s @, Friday, March 16, 2007, 18:48 (6261 days ago)

Does anyone have a good way to speed break-in of the Orphean horns. I have the bassbins broken in. I just want to break in the new horns when they arrive. At this high sensitivity it seems that there is not enough power going through them to speedily break them in at normal volume levels. Is it okay to run a sinewave signal at 20 Hz at high level and each in inverse phase of each other indefinitely, for example? Then I won't hear it, and it can get appreciable signal? Or is the crossover and drivers not going to get worked out enough by doing that? I don't know how much time it takes to break these in by just listening to them, and what to expect. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kurt

Tags:

Orphean break-in

by Bert @, Friday, March 16, 2007, 19:23 (6261 days ago) @ kurt s

Hi Kurt,

it okay to run a sinewave signal at 20 Hz at high level and each in
inverse phase of each other indefinitely, for example? Then I won't hear
it, and it can get appreciable signal? Or is the crossover and drivers
not going to get worked out enough by doing that? I don't know how much
time it takes to break these in by just listening to them, and what to
expect. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Giving them 20Hz can be done but that will not do much, they need a full signal up to above 20kHz. Best way to break them in is to play music until they're settled... then you can hear them play and change from better to worse and from there to better again until they're stable.

You could use pink noise in between listening sessions though...

The first days they are not too clean sounding but after that you can start to enjoy them and tune your bass filter.

The Orpheans are not paper cones needing 500 hours or more, 24 hours of music (normal listening level) and they are pretty okay already.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Orphean break-in

by kurt s @, Saturday, March 17, 2007, 04:24 (6261 days ago) @ Bert

That's good to know they don't take long to break in enough to be enjoyable. Thanks again.

Kurt

Tags:

Orphean break-in

by GC, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 08:34 (6260 days ago) @ kurt s

Does anyone have a good way to speed break-in of the Orphean horns. I have
the bassbins broken in. I just want to break in the new horns when they
arrive. At this high sensitivity it seems that there is not enough power
going through them to speedily break them in at normal volume levels. Is
it okay to run a sinewave signal at 20 Hz at high level and each in
inverse phase of each other indefinitely, for example? Then I won't hear
it, and it can get appreciable signal? Or is the crossover and drivers
not going to get worked out enough by doing that? I don't know how much
time it takes to break these in by just listening to them, and what to
expect. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kurt

Hi Kurt

Not much to add to what Bert said.

A 20 Hz tone applied will not reach the driver that much due to the filter has swallowed almost all energy there.

I "loosend up" my Orpheans just by playing normal music. No torture records here.
Just left the music going the whole day. Not loud, just normal listening levels.
After 14 days I felt them "burned in", even a part of that feeling "burned in" is our own brains addaption to the "new" sound.

The before/after difference to my experience is that the Orpheans gain more resolution in the very highs over time, or said in another way, let the air out more effortless.

Congrats with your new horns BTW.

GC

Tags:

20 Hz tone

by kurt s @, Monday, March 19, 2007, 03:51 (6259 days ago) @ GC

"A 20 Hz tone applied will not reach the driver that much due to the filter has swallowed almost all energy there."

Yes, and I realized this just after I hit the return key that sent the message. BUT, I also know that some crossover components are more difficult to break in than the actual mechanical drivers. And a 20 Hz tone would be good for the series capacitive crossover receiving big voltage shifts without the drivers receiving much energy at all. This might still be beneficial.

But i will just listen to it. The problem I have is that I caNot leave my amp on indefinately. It has SLA batteries for the driver filaments (a DHT in there). I need a small simple solid state amp to run music all day when gone. I can steal that from my home theater receiver.

Kurt

Tags:

20 Hz tone

by GC, Monday, March 19, 2007, 07:53 (6259 days ago) @ kurt s

But i will just listen to it. The problem I have is that I caNot leave
my amp on indefinately. It has SLA batteries for the driver filaments (a
DHT in there). I need a small simple solid state amp to run music all day
when gone. I can steal that from my home theater receiver.

Hi Kurt

You're right about the cap's. High current will toast them faster.

But as Bert wrote, don't worry. The Orpheans doesn't require that much burn-in time.

You may of course use your battery charges playing as loud as possible. This will speed up things. :wink:

GC

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread