ORIS and back loading (BD-Design)

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 05:37 (6256 days ago)

Has anyone placed an ORIS 150 on the front of something like a Medallion II/Lowther back loaded horn? Would it work?
Thanks,
Bob

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Gasper, Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 19:32 (6256 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hello,

See this:

http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru/single_driver.html

I was also plan go this way but thanks to Bert didn't. :friends:

Problems are with time aligment, bass will not be "good" and it is huge...:dntknw:

If you will try to make them let us know...:bey:

Gasper.:holiday:

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Bert @, Thursday, March 22, 2007, 09:45 (6255 days ago) @ robmatthew

Has anyone placed an ORIS 150 on the front of something like a Medallion
II/Lowther back loaded horn? Would it work?

I have seen a design and pictures using a horn with about the same size horn as the Oris 150, I have no idea how that sounds though.

There is of course the Opus one and the TP1 from Lowther but all lack good fundament in the bass.

I would expect more positive results when using a smaller front horn (like the Oris 250) or a wave guide.

Ciao,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 06:24 (6242 days ago) @ Bert

I finally did try the ORIS 150 with the Lowther Medallion/PM2A on the bass. I used the DEQX for the crossover and time/phase alignment. The results are very satisfactory within the limits of the bass driver.

The union of the two systems is seamless. That is, the match between the ORIS and the horn-loaded bass is quite a bit better than that which I have experienced using both reflex and Onken baffled bass units with the ORIS.

However, the system is volume limited in that the bass does not have the ability to match the sound intensity of the 150 at loud levels without some distress. However, the experiment answered my question about the desirability of a horn loaded bass for the ORIS. I think it is the way to go if one has the space.

Next, what about an equalized open baffle using multiple drive units for the bass instead of a horn? Is there experience with that format in this group?

Thanks,
Bob

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 09:43 (6242 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing. I do not understand the filtering though...

You started the topic with the question if it would be possible to add a horn in front of a rear loaded horn (I assumed using only one driver)?

What did you filter then? I can understand that you'll need to EQ the changed response though...

Next, what about an equalized open baffle using multiple drive units for
the bass instead of a horn? Is there experience with that format in this
group?

The future Quasar MKIII will be based on that. A big total cone surface is basically the same as a horn in front of a small driver but then without the time delay and freedom of cabinet colouration.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 19:15 (6242 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
My apology for shifting gears (or horses) in mid-stream without notice. After reading your and others' comments, I came to the same conclusion that it was not possible to simply put a front horn on a Medallion cabinet ( of course!).

Instead, I put the ORIS on top of the Lowther cabinet, then biamped the system using the DEQX for xover, time alignment, phase and amplitude correction.

This all worked very well within the sound pressure limitation I mentioned.

Do you think that two 18" drivers per side in an open baffle would approximate a horn or would something like four be better?

Thanks for your input,
Bob

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Bert @, Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 21:33 (6242 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

Do you think that two 18" drivers per side in an open baffle would
approximate a horn or would something like four be better?

How low and loud do you want to go and what is the size of your room?

I think four 18" drivers each channel would be overkill for a normal listening room, unless you want to go down below 20Hz or so.

18" drivers tend to be slow with their high moving mass but when you have four of them then they do not have to move that much and then these will give plenty of pressure and dynamics.

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, April 04, 2007, 21:51 (6242 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,
My living room is 18' wide and 24' long with an 11' ceiling. My music room is 26' X 44" with a 22' high, peaked ceiling. I have not decided which room will get the ORIS and which will have the Supravox OB system, although the ORIS might be best in the bigger room.

The woofer would roll off at about 170 Hz at 96 dB/octave and the ORIS would do the same in the other direction. The really low bass(15 to about 40 Hz) is handled by a Velodyne 18 digital drive sub.

How about a pair of 15's? I do have four TAD 1601a drivers.

I do appreciate your sharing your experience and your time in answering these questions.

Best regards,
Bob

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Bert @, Thursday, April 05, 2007, 17:42 (6241 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

How about a pair of 15's? I do have four TAD 1601a drivers.

That should be sufficient in combination with your subwoofer.... the Quasars with their BD15's play a large room without any problem (from 40Hz and up).

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by robmatthew @, Thursday, April 05, 2007, 19:10 (6241 days ago) @ Bert

Thank you , My Good Fellow!
I shall report back in a couple of weeks. Also, I have done quite a bit of measuring and listening to both horns and open baffles if anyone is interested.

Bob

Tags:

ORIS and back loading

by Bert @, Thursday, April 05, 2007, 22:07 (6241 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

I shall report back in a couple of weeks.

Looking forward...

Also, I have done quite a bit of measuring and listening to both horns and open baffles if anyone is interested.

Always welcome to post your experiences. Do start a new topic if needed though... :wink:

Ciao,

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread