bass orientation? (BD-Design)

by fu_man @, Friday, May 25, 2007, 04:46 (6190 days ago)

Could a reference bass cabinet be placed on it's side without too much detrimetn to the sound quality?
I.e. still driver side forward and as close as possible to the horn but instead of standing vertical 'tipped over'.

Tags:

bass orientation?

by Bert @, Friday, May 25, 2007, 09:22 (6190 days ago) @ fu_man

Could a reference bass cabinet be placed on it's side without too much
detrimetn to the sound quality?

Should not be a big problem, the mid bass will act a bit different because it is closer to the floor and further away from the midrange so adjustment of the filter will be needed...

Why do you ask?

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

bass orientation?

by fu_man @, Friday, May 25, 2007, 10:03 (6190 days ago) @ Bert

Well I won't lie to you.... the horns I am building compromise sound quality for looks! there ...i said it.
Well actually I hope for the sound not to be too compromised but looks are important.
There is no room for the ref cabinets below the horns so I am contemplating joining two ref cabinets end to end as a table for the TV which sits between the horns. (I don't do HT so the two are never on at the same time) I have limited sideways space.
First, I have a pair of passive TBI Magellan subs and will see how these go. (Some people substitute these in place of their 225 Avantgarde duo bass units so i thought they would work well in the future for my Orphaens...(but one of my many mistakes they only extend to 200hz so can't reach the 220hz required - i'm so stupid))
But I hope to build the ref cabinets with a pair of BD15's to see the difference and if it works out sell the tbi's.

I'll post a pic when they are ready but it wont be anytime soon. I've set myself an imaginary race to finish the speakers before GC is released! lets just say i started in 2006.....

Tags:

bass orientation?

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Friday, May 25, 2007, 11:21 (6190 days ago) @ fu_man

I did too, haha.
Few more days and hours ...

There is no room for the ref cabinets below the horns so I am
contemplating joining two ref cabinets end to end as a table for the TV
which sits between the horns. (I don't do HT so the two are never on at
the same time) I have limited sideways space.

Clear.
But maybe try to force yourself into another solution, because you really will hear the too close to eachother bass cabinets. I mean, bass is not so undirectional as you heard or learned so far. GC will show you, once the standing waves got out of the way !

So if possible, try to get the bass cabinets just on the outside instead of the inside (and stack them there onto something ?).

Peter

Tags:

bass orientation?

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Friday, May 25, 2007, 11:42 (6190 days ago) @ PeterSt.

I agree! Baß isn´t undirectional - I think due to the harmonics (distortion) also emitted, which are in locatable frequency-ares. That´s the reason, I like down-firing subwoofers.
About placements: There are is a nice calculator for positioning:
http://www.hunecke.de/german/rechenservice/lautsprecher.html
Maybe that helps for placement also.
But that programm tells nothing about the complete sound, only to be expected frequency-response.
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread