BMS 4592ND modifications... (BD-Design)

by Bert @, Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 14:57 (6164 days ago)

Hi All,

I've noticed some discussions about a great tweak to modify the BMS 4592ND's for better sound, without elaborating further on the subject, I can only.... :lol:

Sorry about this, someday you'll understand my reaction...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

BMS 4592ND modifications...

by angeloitacare, Wednesday, June 20, 2007, 23:50 (6163 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert

i've opened up the BMS driver, after the posts at AA,to try out the modification proposed, also the midrange section. I did not observe any modification made from your part. I caNot say anything conclusive, but i also do not have a good feeling ......

Angelo

Tags:

by Bert @, Thursday, June 21, 2007, 00:02 (6163 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Angelo,

i've opened up the BMS driver, after the posts at AA,to try out the
modification proposed, also the midrange section. I did not observe any
modification made from your part. I caNot say anything conclusive, but i
also do not have a good feeling ......

Buy a new driver from somewhere else and compare that one with your present drivers (you'll have to take the whole driver apart!). The MOD as suggested at AA is one I did not do, I do not see any point doing that as it does not make any difference in sound.

Do a blind test so that you do not have the placebo effect disturbing your brain...

Bert

--

Tags:

by angeloitacare, Thursday, June 21, 2007, 02:48 (6163 days ago) @ Bert
edited by angeloitacare, Thursday, June 21, 2007, 03:19

If someone would remove the phase plug of the midrange (desoldering the wires at the side and taking it out the back cover - even more easy to do than taking out the tweeter with much less change of damaging things) and try to figure out how the "front" chamber of the midrange really works by following the real wave path then you'll understand why I had to laugh out loud....

1 : 0 for you....

i will probably not be able to compare, as i will instead of this, try out other drivers, soon.
What i actually was wondering, is if its 180 degree wave path curve does not cause distortion, reflexions and turbulences, and if it not will always sound worse, than if the phase plug and wave path would be straight.

Angelo

Tags:

by Bert @, Friday, June 22, 2007, 00:48 (6162 days ago) @ angeloitacare

Angelo,

I have measured "normal" compression drivers and these show much higher 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion...those BMS drivers are very well designed but have some flaws (manufacturing process to save costs and designed for outdoor use, but 90% of that part can be modified).

You should wait a while longer for the MkII filter which will be the final filter for the Orphean. That combo will be hard to beat with other horns using compression drivers (overall speaking).

Do not forget that for a real good overall sound that the bass (same quality!) has to be integrated properly to the Orphean. Without a good working fundament the sound will be "poor" and not optimal if seen as full-range system.

Bert

--

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread