aer bd 3 speaker repair (BD-Design)

by joespride @, Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 17:09 (6016 days ago)

hello all i bought a pair of bd 3 here from bert and seems i have developed a problem now, at first speaker started making a noise as though it was vibrating against the phase plug i removed the plug and it continued to make the sound and has now stopped playing al togeather, in short it seems i need a repair service, anyone here reccomend a good place to have these repaired, i would prefer stateside but i will ship if necessary

thanks Joe

Tags:

aer bd 3 speaker repair

by Bert @, Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 21:04 (6016 days ago) @ joespride

Dear Joe,

Best idea is that you should contact Filip Keller at AER who will be able to do the repair for you (and the only one who can do this). It will take him several weeks though, do not be surprised when it takes 6-8 weeks!

You can also send the driver(s) to me and I will take care about it but I will have to send them to AER anyhow for the repair.

The only thing I can think about the cause of your problem at this point is that the coil has rubbed way too long to the metal of the magnet and that this is the reason why it is now broken. You should have aligned (or cleaned the magnet gap of) the driver at the moment it started rubbing. Then it would probably have survived and played further without problems.

Sorry,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

aer bd 3 speaker repair

by robmatthew @, Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 00:46 (6015 days ago) @ joespride

Hi Joe,
If you have an ohm meter, check to see if the coil is open (infinite resistance). If it shows resistance, then cleaning the gap and adjusting the coil could be done in the US. If you need a new coil then Bert's suggestion is your best choice. You would then get a new diaphragm, suround and coil as a unit.
Bob

Tags:

aer bd 3 speaker repair

by Bert @, Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 11:12 (6015 days ago) @ robmatthew

Hi Bob,

If you have an ohm meter, check to see if the coil is open (infinite
resistance). If it shows resistance, then cleaning the gap and adjusting
the coil could be done in the US.

Thanks for the extra info and that is what can be checked but I do not expect that Joe will measure low resistance reading his post.

If you need a new coil then Bert's suggestion is your best choice. You would then get a new diaphragm, suround and coil as a unit.

If it is going to be repaired then only the coil will be replaced, if a new complete replacement diaphragm is desired then this can be send directly to Joe where he (or somebody else) can replace it for the faulty one.

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

aer bd 3 speaker repair

by joespride @, Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 22:58 (6015 days ago) @ Bert

thanks for the information, i will check resistance when i get home, i have contacted filip as you suggested bert, if i have to send the drivers in and it is cost effective i will probably have them updated to the latest spec's possiable with my magnets and frames...............

Joe

Tags:

aer bd 3 speaker repair

by robmatthew @, Thursday, November 08, 2007, 17:33 (6014 days ago) @ Bert

I agree, but one can hope...
I didn't know that the coil could be replaced by itself. Thanks for the info.
Bob

Tags:

RSS Feed of thread