Cables (BD-Design)

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Saturday, January 19, 2008, 11:00 (5942 days ago)

Maybe a topic often discussed - but nevertheless I'd like to bring it up:
What kind of experience You got with speaker cables, especially used on the oris System.
Have anybody tried and compared the expensive cables like JPS alluminata, Transparent, Nordost, Tara Labs?
To my experience, the material of the conductors can make a rather big difference, but also the structure of the cables.
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Cables

by Gasper, Sunday, January 20, 2008, 15:51 (5941 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi,

I use Nordost Blue Heaven - I would go with better one but the lenth of 8 m take it's price :(:no:

I found out that Heimdall is the firs "real" cable but top one is Odin, but the price...:shame:

Don't rush - take the time and make some experiments...:clever:

Best cable is no cable:tomatos:

Regards,

Gasper.

Tags:

Cables

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Sunday, January 20, 2008, 19:42 (5941 days ago) @ Gasper

Hallo Gasper!
Thanks for Yout reply! I heard some rigs, using Nordost-cables with good sonic results. But in someway I'm thinking of rf-pick-up...
At the moment I'm using Van den Hul Revolution cables, lightly twisted, but when my new mono- amps are finished, I'll need only two lengths of 1,2 m speaker cable.

Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Cables

by MikeH @, Thursday, January 24, 2008, 12:17 (5937 days ago) @ madprofessor

But in someway I´m thinking of rf-pick-up...

RF pickup = less than 1 microvolt unless you have a ham radio user next door.
I'll bet you never hear it unless your amp is freakishly unstable with poorly designed feedback loops.

dirt cheap and worth trying just for that reason: 4 metres of 24AWG solid copper telephone cable, untwisted and stuck 20mm apart on 50mm paper masking tape. fold the edges of the tape over the front so the sticky is covered.
Never tried it on a decent speaker but works well with a Fostex.
dont use cat5, too hard to untwist.

Tags:

Cables

by Bert @, Thursday, January 24, 2008, 12:33 (5937 days ago) @ MikeH

Hi Mike,

I'll bet you never hear it unless your amp is freakishly unstable with
poorly designed feedback loops.

With a decent system you will hear the differences for whatever reasons...and not to forget that there are several tube amps that do not have any or hardly feedback (for good reasons - yet another compromise to gain something else in the sound).

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Tags:

Cables

by Balthasar, Monday, January 21, 2008, 01:27 (5941 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hello madprofessor..

For my horns and basses i use Kimber 4VS, even inside the speakers, all the same.

Rgds, Ralph

Tags:

Cables

by GC, Monday, January 21, 2008, 06:05 (5940 days ago) @ madprofessor

This could be an option too...

Bert knows about the qualities, I think.

http://www.duelundaudio.com/Cable.asp

GC

Tags:

Cables

by DeMarko @, Monday, January 21, 2008, 20:59 (5940 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi!

Cables do make a difference. The best I heard in my Oris system were top of the line Kondo (Audio Note Japan). Big difference. For the speakers I use Coincident cables, TRS: it was a big improvement over Kimber 4TC. Kondo is better than the Coincident. For interconnects: XLO Signature II + excellent silver cables made by a small Malaysian company that specializes in upgrades. Both are excellent. And better than many cables I had or tried. But Kondo was a big improvement over them. Unfortunately, I don't have Kondo, it was on loan from a friend :wink:
Too expensive for me now. This would be the ultimate cable for me.

Tags:

Cables

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Monday, January 21, 2008, 21:14 (5940 days ago) @ DeMarko

Thanks for the information provided!
I´ve myself the impression, that pure silver sounds more realistic than copper. But it would also be helpfull to discuss the structutre of cable - single bis strands, multiple strands, coax...
Best regards
Stephan

Tags:

Duelund Cables

by Bert @, Monday, January 21, 2008, 23:15 (5940 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi Stephan,

I've myself the impression, that pure silver sounds more realistic than
copper. But it would also be helpfull to discuss the structutre of cable -
single bis strands, multiple strands, coax...

My vote is for the single stranded, rolled flat silver wire with silk/oil isolated wire from Duelund. Same principle as used for the interconnects just the same...

Bert

--

Duelund Cables

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 10:00 (5939 days ago) @ Bert

Hallo Bert!
Could You give more specific information about the cables - diameter of conductor, diameter outside, should this cables be twisted, or used in a 4 strand configuration?
I did some testing of speaker-cables myself and there are differences between cable structures, as well as cable materials.
I had quite good results with coax,heavy GHz-Range cables, but due to the expected skin-effect, the conductor material is not the best ( alloy core with copper foil...

Best regards
Stephan

Duelund Cables

by PeterSt. ⌂ @, Netherlands, Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 10:36 (5939 days ago) @ madprofessor

Hi,

What I like about the cables Bert proposes, is that they are flat (by heart say 1,5 mm thick and 3,5 mm wide) and it is my idea that this prevents the skin effect.

It's just single flat (hardcore silver (topped ?)) wires, one for plus, one for minus.

If you now get the idea that these are stiff cables, then you're right. They can just be bended and the form stays.

Peter

Duelund Cables

by Bert @, Tuesday, January 22, 2008, 10:54 (5939 days ago) @ madprofessor

Stephan,

Could You give more specific information about the cables - diameter of
conductor, diameter outside, should this cables be twisted, or used in a 4
strand configuration?

Duelund cables are single stranded (only one wire for plus and one for minus) for the speaker cables and their interconnects.

All wires are 0,3mm thick (the core) as optimum soundwise with variable width (yes, the wires are flat). Here is a list of the 3 types available (as interconnect and speaker cable):

(1) 0.75 mm2 flat annealed silver in one layer of silk and oil. The oil has a high affinity for moisture which renders the dielectricum anti static.

(2) Same as (1) but with further layers of silk which is impregnated in a chemical compound that attracts moisture to the inner layer.

(3) Same as (2) but uses a 1.2 mm2 silver wire.

Silver is otherwise highest grade pure silver.

The plugs for the interconnects are the Duelund Pearl Plug which again uses no plastic.

I hope this helps... :wink:

Bert

--

Tags:
Duelund Cable

RSS Feed of thread