On-axis or off-axis in a smaller room (Swing)

by anubisgrau, Monday, March 10, 2008, 12:52 (5901 days ago)

Hi guys,
since Saturday I'm another owner of Oris Swing here so.... you can congratulate me:). The initial impressions are certainly fantastic (this is an understatement) and I will write more about it when I recover, however now just a quick question:
My room is roughly 5.2x4.2m with 3.2 ceiling. I had to push them pretty much to the back wall in order to get some 3.3m to my listening position. I'm sure this is the smallest room one has put Swings in!
The vertical integration is so far perfect, you don't hear any issues.
First 24 hours I listened them slighly off-axis and I wasn't perfectly happy with a L-R integration, there was too much separate sounds coming from separate speakers (left and right).
I was a bit afraid that if I put them on-axis, they would beam even more or just be overwhelming, like having 2 laser sabres shooting directly into your head.
I finally got a courage and put it on-axis. Yes, there's a bit more treble but I could feel that the integration into a coherent soundstage is now better.
Bert, I'm wondering what are your thoughts, is it just a trial & error thing until you make it working, or you might have a certain recommendation for an optimum positioning in a room.
TA!
Gordan

On-axis or off-axis in a smaller room

by Bert @, Monday, March 10, 2008, 13:08 (5901 days ago) @ anubisgrau

Hi Gordan,

since Saturday I'm another owner of Oris Swing here so.... you can congratulate me:).

Congratulations! :ok:

First 24 hours I listened them slighly off-axis and I wasn't perfectly happy with a L-R integration, there was too much separate sounds coming from separate speakers (left and right).

Optimal (to my taste) is to listen to them off-axis (pointed to a spot behind you) but if the horns are placed too close to the side walls then you get too strong reflections from the side walls.

Bert, I'm wondering what are your thoughts, is it just a trial & error thing until you make it working, or you might have a certain recommendation for an optimum positioning in a room.

In a small room all is trial and error and if the treble is not too loud on-axis then this is another way to go. You could even point them to a point in front of you so that they cross, that might work best in your situation...

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

by anubisgrau, Monday, March 10, 2008, 13:17 (5901 days ago) @ Bert

Congratulations! :ok:

In a small room all is trial and error and if the treble is not too loud on-axis then this is another way to go. You could even point them to a point in front of you so that they cross, that might work best in your situation...

This was also another idea I've had and wanted to try, though that would look certainly very strange, as the beams would cross at no longer than 2.5-2.7m from the horn mouths. I've also had a feeling this would narrow a soundstage as I can hear that even now when I pointed them on-axis.

I have the upper horns some 2.3m wide apart and rolled towards innerside a bit as my listening position is quite low.

[image]

[image]

Thanks G.

by diz1, Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 12:40 (5900 days ago) @ anubisgrau

Congratulations,:biglol:
I have the swing few weeks now and I discover it is amazing more and more every day
For your listening room- you should use acoustic device in your room.
If you made the effort to buy this top speaker- I assume you try to have the best sound. You can not change the walls but you can change the way they “works”.
Use combination of absorb and diffusion on the walls.
Look at the pictures on my post “swing is here”
Behind the speakers there is absorption wall- so you can push them back without losing something. On the side wall and behind the sitting place there is diffusion with little absorption. The speaker is near the wall without any problem.
You need diffusers that is doing diffusion but without coloration when you stand beside them. You have small room, so it is critical for you.
I use the swing with off-axis, pointed to a spot 2-3 m behind me( and the speakers are 4 m from my ears) without any problem with L-R integration. I assume that you have the integration problem because early reflections from the walls.

by anubisgrau, Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 15:43 (5900 days ago) @ diz1

Congratulations,:biglol:
I have the swing few weeks now and I discover it is amazing more and more every day
For your listening room- you should use acoustic device in your room.
If you made the effort to buy this top speaker- I assume you try to have the best sound. You can not change the walls but you can change the way they “works”.
Use combination of absorb and diffusion on the walls.
Look at the pictures on my post “swing is here”
Behind the speakers there is absorption wall- so you can push them back without losing something. On the side wall and behind the sitting place there is diffusion with little absorption. The speaker is near the wall without any problem.
You need diffusers that is doing diffusion but without coloration when you stand beside them. You have small room, so it is critical for you.
I use the swing with off-axis, pointed to a spot 2-3 m behind me( and the speakers are 4 m from my ears) without any problem with L-R integration. I assume that you have the integration problem because early reflections from the walls.

Thanks a lot, I've started thinking along these lines this morning when I did a change in position after which I've heard a similar interference from the room which I had with an old dynamic speakers. Contrary to the picture, I swing the horns pointing outwards, not inwards so I've felt I've had a better situation like 3.3m between the horns and 4.2m to the listener. However I've also caught room working more than usual as I could hear the whole sound coming more from left side due to the fact that the upper horns are now pretty close to the side walls therefore earlier reflections.

Can anyone point to a good online source of info how to DIY absorbers/diffusors or where to buy them for a reasonable money. Many thanks!

The speakers are btw ridiculously good, the best investment I did in my history of audio. Worth of every cent and worth of every hype they can get! I'll write more.....

by madprofessor ⌂, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 09:01 (5899 days ago) @ anubisgrau

Very interesting discussion! I´ve also a lelative small room.
For ceiling and rear wall I used acoustic foam- plates, ( 2 cm ceiling, 10 cm rear wall) covered with a light fabric. Results are pretty good.
The source for the acoustic foam is:

http://www.aixfoam.de/cgi-bin/shop/sh_app?LID=de&shcat=1&ORDER_POS_ID=&ART_...

Best regards

Stephan

by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:09 (5898 days ago) @ anubisgrau
edited by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:14

Thanks a lot, I've started thinking along these lines this morning when I did a change in position after which I've heard a similar interference from the room which I had with an old dynamic speakers. Contrary to the picture, I swing the horns pointing outwards, not inwards so I've felt I've had a better situation like 3.3m between the horns and 4.2m to the listener. However I've also caught room working more than usual as I could hear the whole sound coming more from left side due to the fact that the upper horns are now pretty close to the side walls therefore earlier reflections.

Can anyone point to a good online source of info how to DIY absorbers/diffusors or where to buy them for a reasonable money. Many thanks!

The speakers are btw ridiculously good, the best investment I did in my history of audio. Worth of every cent and worth of every hype they can get! I'll write more.....

Gordan. I shall drop by your place this weekend and check out the phenomenon you address here.

There is much to understand about when reflection, diffusion and absorbtion should/could be applied. And most do it wrongly in good trust. The use absorbtion when diffusion is needed and visa versa.

I my room which is pretty much a late-reflection dominated room with some kind of spontanious diffusion and very little absorbtion, I have spacial sound and no L-R dominator effect. You know. But I have 4 meters to the side walls and the first reflection from those walls were decades away in the time domain and af no importance with their late arrivals. The brain doesn't care.
There is a perfect set-up your place, even your room is rather small. But not that small either. But your right channel has a lot of diffusion from that wall and your left a lot of reflection/absorbtion. Here is the *dog* barried.

It should be even weighted. Room jutter has to be L-R balanced.

Bert also has his Orpheans placed close to a rather hard wall and do not have this pronounced L-R definition, but very much info in between the speakers. So?

Balance, because reflections are mirrored in the L-R sound stage.

We'll solve this.

Ciao
GC :wink:

BTW: Aleksander, the RAAL-Ribbon guru has his unique *Manhatten* diffusors which I think you should apply to your left wall in a limited amount. His is working down to 200 Hz, which is pretty low. Cut a few Eifel-towers off and you could have a nice decoration there at the left.
If you do not have this *problem* solved, I know who can do it. Rainer Weber.

by anubisgrau, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:41 (5898 days ago) @ GC

GC, your answer is very much spot on. I came to very similar conclusion that the room is horizontally out of balance not only because it's not symmetrical but also because of a different furnishing left and right. And now you can clearly hear that the whole balance is moved to the left, although this is much less pronounced with the horns due to more of a direct sound from them than reflected. But they respond to moving and there are better and worse situations. I will gladly hear your thoughts about the most efficient and wife (and cats) friendly solutions for acoustic treatment - unfortunately despite the fact that my better part tremendously love the Swings and spends more time with them than me (due to the fact she's not employed), I still have certain limits how far I can go in turning a living room into a perfect acoustic space. No egg cartons and similar pls:grin:

by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 01:58 (5898 days ago) @ anubisgrau
edited by GC, Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:01

Dear Gordan

It will all end up perfectly right. Wife/Husband tranqulity.

You have the best sound on the Balkans for the moment... :cool:

Me---

See you in the weekend.

RSS Feed of thread