REF 2010 rocks (BD-Design)

by Russell Craig, Friday, May 20, 2011, 11:26 (4687 days ago)

It has been quite here lately.

I'm sure many will be interested to know that I'm the very happy owner of a pair of REF 2010 Ultras which Bert built for me. They're constructed from birch ply with a cherry veneer. Drivers are BD15s that I bought from Bert, along with the BD15 mod kit, way back in 2005 when I decided to upgrade my oringinal BD Onken style woofers to the reference woofer cabs of the day. Boy am I glad I never got around to doing that.:grin:

The new woofers are being powered by a pair of BD30's that Bert has built into some custom wooden enclosures that match the REF 2010's. Each amp has a reckhorn S-1 built in for xover duites, and there is a Reckhorn B-2 in front of them providing EQ and master volume.

Main horns are now Oris 200's and I have switched from Lowther PM4A/AER cones to AER MD3's. Amp is a Yamamoto A-08s (45 SET), and preamp is a Bent Audio TVC unit. Everything is plugged into a Kemp Electronics Power Source

The whole system is running in right now and I'm getting adjusted to the huge change this represents from the Oris system I've lived with for the past 10 years. I'm not going to offer any impressions about the sound right now, except to say that it more than meets my expectations. I'll take some photos in the next few days and send to Bert so that he can post them here.

Cheers,
Russell

REF 2010 rocks

by Gasper, Friday, May 20, 2011, 19:09 (4686 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Congratulations!

Welcome to the club!:cool:

Can't wait for photos:drool:

Regards,

Gasper

REF 2010 rocks

by Bert @, Sunday, May 22, 2011, 10:41 (4685 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hey Russell!

It has been quite here lately.

Indeed, apparently most questions were answered?

The whole system is running in right now and I'm getting adjusted to the huge change this represents from the Oris system I've lived with for the past 10 years.

No false promises given here... :wink:

I'm not going to offer any impressions about the sound right now, except to say that it more than meets my expectations. I'll take some photos in the next few days and send to Bert so that he can post them here.

Please do! I can't wait to have a look in your listening room! :cool:

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

REF 2010 rocks

by Russell Craig, Monday, May 23, 2011, 16:48 (4684 days ago) @ Bert

And I can't wait to find a moment to take the photos:heat:

REF 2010 rocks

by RobsterD @, UK, Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 20:50 (4682 days ago) @ Russell Craig

Hi Russell
I have also gone down the Ref2010 route with Oris 200's and AER MD2,are you in the UK ?
I wouldn't mind a listen borrowed a Yammy for awhile myself very nice currently using an Ecofan Sound 6A3 SET very sweet.
Also want to checkout Berts cabinet skills as I built and veneered mine myself :grin:
Cheers
Rob

REF 2010 rocks

by Russell Craig, Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 09:53 (4682 days ago) @ RobsterD

Hi Rob,

yes - am in the UK in the Guildford area. Would be most happy to get together - just a need a few weeks to get the system properly sorted out. Perhaps Bert can exchange e-mail addresses for us?

Good on you for building your own cabinets. I was going to, but realised I simply did not have enough time.

That Ecofan is a NZ amplifier - how did you come by it?

Cheers,
Russell

RSS Feed of thread