Quasar with 2 x 285gmf (BD-Design)

by Daze @, Friday, December 30, 2016, 17:13 (2674 days ago)

I am planning a quasar mk1 variant. I have a pair of AER mk1 and some 200hz horns that I wish to put on open baffles.
I have read somewhere that Bert had produced a version of the Quasar 1 with 2 helper woofers...
Is this just myth or was there effectively a 2 x 285gmf version of the Quasar?
I sure would be interested in the results.
Thanks.

Quasar with 2 x 285gmf

by Bert @, Friday, December 30, 2016, 20:24 (2674 days ago) @ Daze

Search for "Quasar 285GMF" resulted in:

http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php?id=10600

:grin:

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Quasar with 2 x 285gmf

by Bert @, Friday, December 30, 2016, 20:32 (2674 days ago) @ Daze

Still.. an extra woofer might help and the horns are doing pretty nice things as well but so many things change that the first Quasar will be completely different and way more complex.

Bass will have to become active with DSP to be able to tweak both the horns and the bass section properly together. You should be able to listen and act yourself to be able to tune it together.. I do not have anything to be able to help from a distance!

If you're insecure of your capabilities then why not build the Quasar MkI in the first place as it is? You have the components and the system is pretty good as it is... :-)

Did you previously had a setup with the AERmkI in combination with the horns? Or is this going to be the first system to build with the components you have mentioned?

Cheers,

Bert

--
BD-Design - Only the Best!

Quasar with 2 x 285gmf

by Daze @, Friday, December 30, 2016, 23:38 (2674 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

Actually, my horn is not tractrix, it is very similar to AER's Excenterhorn, but 500 mm. So it simply equalizes the responsa somewhat with slightly more body in the lower-mids.

These AER mk1 were originally in Lamhorns (sold them a while back). I was planning to build the Quasar (mk1) and just add the Excenterhorn on the AER. I do have access to a second pair of 285gmf, but as you say, it might not be necessary.

Thanks for the input.

RSS Feed of thread